Tar Paper Vs Cutback - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-28-2012, 04:00 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

tar paper vs cutback

how can you tell the difference between old tar paper and cutback adhesive?

Advertisement

ashmah98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 05:48 PM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,280

tar paper vs cutback

I can-------

What have you got?---cutback is a black adhesive---
Tar paper is a roll of paper that is impregnated with tar---

Do I win?

Seriously---what do you have and how can we help?

Advertisement

Old 01-28-2012, 07:07 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

tar paper vs cutback

I have old 4" pine flooring I picked up at a slavage yard. I was prepping them today for install later in the week and noticed that several boards have what looks like old tar/felt paper. It is definitely fiborous and looks a lot like today's roofing felt. I didn't give it much thought until I saw a small piece of what looked like old vct or vat on one of the boards. I know cutback was used back in the day for lino, vct, vat, etc and can contain asbestos. There is also what looks like trowel marks in some areas but then again they also look like marks from a large scraper (maybe roofing)???? It's not gooey like I think adhesive would be. I'm probably going to get it tested just to be safe. I was planning on installing it paper/cutback side down anyway cause I like the rough look of what was the underside. Whether tar paper or cutback does it really matter if it goes face down on rosin paper never to be seen again (at least not in my lifetime)! I'm mostly worried about cutting, nailing, etc....if it is in fact asbestos. Side note - I was wearing a respirator as I always do when working with the old stuff!
ashmah98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 07:37 PM   #4
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,280

tar paper vs cutback

I would not be concerned as long as you are installing the stained part down---Asbestos is only a problem in powdered form that can become air borne---that's not going to happen--so go right ahead.

My guess? That wood was laid over an old cutback covered floor--after some tiles had been removed-
Most of the floor was covered with tar paper as a vapor barrier---some places the wood was laid over the old cut back without tar paper--hence the trowel marks in some places and bits of tar paper on other boards.