Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-01-2009, 10:33 PM   #1

Share |

Suspended Ceiling Question

I'm in the process of finishing my basement. With this forum being my primary source of research/advice, I've framed, wired, installed a sub-panel, sheetrocked, spackled, trimmed and painted. So far, everything looks and works great! Now I'm working on a suspended ceiling.

Two rooms, the first being 10'x23'. I've got the wall angle up. Planning a 2x2 grid. Purchased mains and T's from Home Depot, USG Donn brand. Will run mains the 10' span.

I was expecting to clip off the tab on the end of the main and have a slot for a T at 24" from that end. But, no. The slots are spaced at 6", but the first slot is 3" from the factory edge so they are at either 21" or 27" from the wall.

Now for this room, I can cut 3" off one side and 21" off the other side of the mains and make my pattern work. However, the other room is 12' by 41' and I was planning to run the mains the 12' span with a full 2' tile matching the common wall with the smaller room. (The rooms form an "L" and are separated by a 4' high half wall with a soffit above it.) If I have to cut 3" off the mains to match the pattern, they won't span the 12' width.

What am I missing? Or am I stuck with splicing the mains along the long run of the bigger room?

Last edited by cgoll; 04-01-2009 at 11:04 PM. Reason: clarity
cgoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 06:06 AM   #2

You plan the layout first, then you clip the main runners to achieve the layout. If that means you incorporate a splice, you put in a splice.
Your layout dictates the process.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 01:00 PM   #3
Drywall contractor

The cutoff from the one end will slip into the other end of the main to make things work IF the room is EXACTLY 12' (or less, say 11' -11"). If you have any a room that is even slightly out of square and you're counting on using full tiles on you borders, you might want to reconsider. Go back to a 12" border. The grid has to remain square for the tile and, especially, the lights to fit properly (if you're using lay-in lights). You can vary where the joints on the mains are cutting different lengths off the main ends and putting them n the other end. That way all of the splices aren't lined up. Remember, SQUARE is the key word for a grid ceiling....