Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-10-2013, 10:03 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Suggested depth of bedroom closet

The closet in the small bedroom is 21 3/4" deep. The master bedroom and hall closets are about the same. I'll be extending the wall to the right of the small bedroom closet as shown in the picture, so I'll have a hollow area to install jacks. That got me thinking, maybe I should extend the wall to the left of the closet so it matches. That got me thinking maybe I should make the closet deeper so it's flush with the extended walls. I could make the closet up to 30" deep, which would bring it flush with the existing wall to the left of the closet. How deep should I make it? This is in an apartment that I own and will probably sell some day.
Attached Thumbnails
Suggested depth of bedroom closet-bedroom-closet-extension-diagram.jpg  

Dorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 10:05 PM   #2
old guy contractor

I always try to make my closets 24" finished depth inside.

tcleve4911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:11 PM   #3

What would be considered an "extra deep" closet? It would be nice to be able to say that in an ad.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:23 AM   #4

I think I'll just add the red part shown in the picture and not extend the closet. The door to the room is to the left and keeping the closet inset could prevent someone from running into the room, making a left, and slamming into an open closet door. I'd have to extend the plaster and mesh doorway and a light switch to do this correctly.

On the other hand, if I replace the bifold closet doors with trifold closet doors I can do it, but I haven't found trifold closet doors anywhere.

Last edited by Dorado; 03-12-2013 at 10:58 AM.
Old 03-12-2013, 01:14 PM   #5

We put closets in our last house and 24" was too shallow. I think we did 28" and they definitely weren't too big.
pyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 04:19 PM   #6

I decided to extend mine from 21-3/4" to 30". Interesting thing about this is most contractors seem uninterested in projects this small and think it's a job for a handyman. So if I didn't do it myself I guess I'd have to look for ads on supermarket bulletin boards. Another interesting thing is that hiring someone to build a closet like mine from scratch would cost about $2000. My two wall extensions with two low voltage rings and relocation of the closet doors would probably be about $1000, compared to about $50 for supplies if I do it myself.