Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-08-2013, 10:15 PM   #1

Share |

subfloor for tiling a kitchen

I plan on tiling my kitchen here shortly. Ive never done it before but im pretty confident in getting it done properly. My problem is that I have carpet with about 3/8in board under it then old hardwood floor then the original subfloor. I plan on tearing up all but the subfloor. How thick of board do I need to lay under the backer board to prevent the floors from flexing?

crash525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 05:44 AM   #2
DIY staff

Usually 3/4" BC plywood---as little as 1/2" might be acceptable----

Of more concern is the floor joists---if you will let us know the size and unsupported length and spacing --someone will run a deflection chart for you.

Windows on Wash (04-09-2013)
Old 04-09-2013, 09:57 AM   #3

My joist are 13-15 inches apart. The kitchen os 110'x166'. The sub floor looks to be about an inch thick and 7 1/4 wide going at a 45 degree angle across the joists. Ibwas thinking about doing 3/4 board over the subfloor for extra strenght. Im not sure if I would need anymore than that.
Old 04-09-2013, 05:54 PM   #4
Bill Kearney

3/4 over the subfloor would likely be sufficient. But the question about deflection needs to know the size of the joists. What size lumber are they and how far do they span? Because if they're not large enough lumber and/or they're spanning too great a distance then the added weight of the tile could be a problem.
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wkearney99 For This Useful Post:
joecaption (04-09-2013), oh'mike (04-10-2013)
Old 04-10-2013, 11:01 AM   #5

The joists are 7 1/2 x 1 1/2. They span a length of 110'' and are spaced every 14" or so inches through 160''. They seem sturdy to support the weight.
Old 04-10-2013, 01:18 PM   #6
Bill Kearney

Right, so it's 2x8's of regular lumber on 14" centers. The John Brown Tile forums (a GREAT resource for tiling info) has a calculator for this sort of thing:
http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/deflecto.pl

Which, according to the numbers you present, allows for ceramic tile, but perhaps not for heavier natural stone.

You might want to bring up the ideas in their forum for more info.
Old 04-10-2013, 02:07 PM   #7

Thank you for using the John Bridge Forums Deflect-O-Lator :-)For joists that are SYP or Douglas Fir, in good condition, 7.25 inches tall, 1.5 inches wide, 14 inches on center, and 9 feet long between supports, the deflection calculated is 0.152 inches.This translates to a deflection of L / 709.Since the maximum deflection for tile is L / 360, and for natural stone is L / 720, your floor is rated for Ceramic tile, Congratulations!

This is what I got. What does deflection of .152 inches mean and the deflection ratings for tile and stone. I was thinking about using sandstone for the tile but we were up in the air with it. Would ceramic be best or porcelain , slate, or some typer of other stone?
Old 04-12-2013, 12:12 PM   #8

I have removed tile from my kitchen and i need to know how to get the remaining concrete off of the wood subfloor if possible for a smooth clean surface?
Goodyear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 05:13 PM   #9
DIY staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodyear View Post
I have removed tile from my kitchen and i need to know how to get the remaining concrete off of the wood subfloor if possible for a smooth clean surface?
Welcome to the forum--Please start a new thread in 'Flooring'--Mike---
Old 04-12-2013, 06:06 PM   #10

Does adding thicker floor boards change the deflection rating or is it just based on the joists.
Old 04-13-2013, 06:33 AM   #11
Bill Kearney

It's the joists, mainly. If you want more support it's common to attach another joist to the side of the exist ones, aka 'sistering' them. The idea being the new joist is glued and screwed to the old one and this improves the deflection. Bearing in mind you generally need to run the new ones the same span as the existing ones, supported on each end. This can be a non-trivial job if there's a lot of electrical or plumbing running through there. If it's not going to be simple to get new ones in there then you'd very likely want to contact a local structural engineer and get advice on how to best proceed.
Old 04-13-2013, 11:13 AM   #12

Thanks for the help. I have a lot of plumbing, wires, and ducts running between then and through them.
Old 04-13-2013, 11:27 AM   #13
Bill Kearney

Ok, so if you either have to deal with improving the floor deflection (by sistering the joists) or use a material that won't exceed it's deflection. You've got enough for ceramic. Was there a particular stone you were considering leading you to continue the thought process?
Old 04-13-2013, 11:55 AM   #14

Thought about slate or sandstone but I dont want the upkeep of sealing it. Im going to look into putting sister joist in. I cant put a support beam in because itll be right in the middle of my basement. What would be the ideal deflection rating for ceramic tile because from what I understand im kind of close to the limit for tile.
Old 04-13-2013, 12:45 PM   #15

I want to prevent the floor from sagging later on down the road if im going to do any tile.