DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Remodeling (http://www.diychatroom.com/f15/)
-   -   subfloor ideas. (http://www.diychatroom.com/f15/subfloor-ideas-184242/)

scott_85 07-25-2013 04:42 PM

subfloor ideas.
 
So we have a hunting cabin that was built in the 50's and remodeled about 1993 and the cabin had settled in that time and to save money and time my family opted to leave the floor with a huge bow in the middle ( I talking from low spot to high spot I am sure there is a foot difference). The subfloor looks like it is made out of rough cut 1x6 it looks like as there are now holes from nails and the boards being uneven in the linoleum.
I would like to replace just the linoleum with the peel and stick linoleum tiles, but first I would like to lay down plywood first to have a smooth surface for the tiles to adhere to. Is plywood a good idea given the bow in the floor, I planned on using a lot of screw and glue to hold the floor down. Will the plywood pull up over time or will it split where there is a lot pressure?
I understand that I could build another floor overtop the other one but cost and time is always an issue and the whole cabin is out of level and out of square. Just trying to find the best way to fix the floor. By the way the cabin is 3 rooms no bathroom and a guess on the size would be 10' by 30'.

GBrackins 07-25-2013 04:48 PM

Scott,

Welcome to the Forum!

I'm trying to figure out why you're concerned about having a smooth surface for peel and stick tiles when your floor is that much out of level?

does it really matter in the grand scheme of things? just my thought

joecaption 07-25-2013 04:50 PM

If you not willing to take the time to figure out and fix the real problem of why the floor is out of level, any thing you do to just try and cover this up is not going to work and make even more work for someone else when it does get fixed.
Peel and stick is the cheapest flooring you can get and all most always fails even on a perfect floor.
It shrinks so gaps open up, on a curved surface there going to come unstick, near impossible to lay in a straight line, the color does not go all the way through so when it wears your going to see white.

scott_85 07-25-2013 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GBrackins (Post 1220881)
Scott,

Welcome to the Forum!

I'm trying to figure out why you're concerned about having a smooth surface for peel and stick tiles when your floor is that much out of level?

does it really matter in the grand scheme of things? just my thought

Thanks, hopefully I can help some people and get help and learn some great ideas.

The problem with the floor is that the boards used for the subfloor have gaps and there are spots it looks like there are 1/4" to 1/2" difference is the hight of boards that are next to each other. and I feel like I would be wasting a lot of time to putting new tiles down because on step in the wrong place could peel a tile or deform it .
Sorry I do not have pics to post, this is a project I plan on doing upon my return to the states.

scott_85 07-25-2013 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joecaption (Post 1220884)
If you not willing to take the time to figure out and fix the real problem of why the floor is out of level, any thing you do to just try and cover this up is not going to work and make even more work for someone else when it does get fixed.
Peel and stick is the cheapest flooring you can get and all most always fails even on a perfect floor.
It shrinks so gaps open up, on a curved surface there going to come unstick, near impossible to lay in a straight line, the color does not go all the way through so when it wears your going to see white.

I wish I had the money to fix it right, I would tear it down to the ground and start all over. The door of the cabin is at the high spot in the floor and could start from there and build a floor over the old one and I am sure it would do wonders for the inside but my problem is that when I get to the doors for each bunk room you might have a 6 ft door.
Ceiling height would not be an issue because the cabin has 10' or so ceiling height depending on where you are standing.

joecaption 07-25-2013 05:05 PM

No one that knows what there doing would ever just build a new floor over a floor that far out.
The whole building needs to be leveled before doing anything else.

scott_85 07-25-2013 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joecaption (Post 1220894)
No one that knows what there doing would ever just build a new floor over a floor that far out.
The whole building needs to be leveled before doing anything else.

I would like to think I know what I am doing, I have been doing carpentry work for about 15 years now. The point is it is a hunting cabin, it might be occupied 4 week out of year total. The cabin was built on cinder blocks that just sitting on each other and I am sure they were just placed on the ground. I am sure while I am at it I should have the breaker box replaced too since they are the screw type fuses.

The point of this post was to come up with some ideas, thinking out of the box to fix the floor. Nothing about this cabin is perfect and the whole point was to have a dry warm place to sleep. The point of me fixing the floor is that dirt is not swept in the hole and with the boards being uneven hurt when you scrape your toe.

md2lgyk 07-25-2013 05:21 PM

Something that far out is not easily fixed, if it can be at all. I suspect, being just a hunting cabin, the structure has no real foundation. Whatever "fix" you apply, the same thing's probably going to happen again. Anything you do, short of a total teardown, is gonna be putting lipstick on a pig.

scott_85 07-25-2013 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by md2lgyk (Post 1220900)
Something that far out is not easily fixed, if it can be at all. I suspect, being just a hunting cabin, the structure has no real foundation. Whatever "fix" you apply, the same thing's probably going to happen again. Anything you do, short of a total teardown, is gonna be putting lipstick on a pig.

I am ok with putting lipstick on a pig. I am buying a camper anyhow so I don't see it the two weeks of deer season. I just want to look ok when I am up bow hunting and stuff

md2lgyk 07-26-2013 09:03 AM

I was actually going to suggest forgetting the cabin and buying an RV instead. Guess you read my mind.

scott_85 07-26-2013 11:14 AM

If it was just my land, I would tear it down and put a nice pad with 30 amp hook up and install a well and septic field.
Do you think the 1/4 plywood would work without to my problems ?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:33 PM.