Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-20-2007, 09:17 AM   #1

Share |

Steps for putting texture on new drywall

I have installed new drywall on two walls of my bedroom due to some water damage. I have them taped and ready for texture.

I want to do a new texture look other than the knockdown texture that was there before. I am not sure of the name for this new texture. I have heard it called skip trowel and spanish knife. Not sure which it is or something else. Anyway, I want it to look something like the spanish stucco, but not that heavy.

My question is what steps do I take for new drywall? Do I need to put a thin flat coat of mud on first, or jump right into the finished look I am after?

Do I prime the new drywal before applying the texture or after applying, but before paint?

Thanks for any suggestions.

TNeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 10:59 AM   #2
Oldguy

If all your seams and corners are finished, apply your texture, let dry, prime, (I usually do 2 coats on fresh drywall) and 2 coats of paint.

ASE certified master auto tech, Retired.
Rehabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 02:11 PM   #3

There is a website that has a lot of information about mudding and textures.
www.drywallschool.com
yummy mummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 11:20 PM   #4

Q: "Do I prime the new drywal before applying the texture or after applying, but before paint?"

A: I always prime my drywall after putting on at least three coats of mud. It is easier to tell if the seams require more attention. Also, it seals the new drywall. If there are flaws, then I apply a thin coat of topper mud as a final coat. Now, it is ready to texture. Since you are going to use a heavier texture, you may not require the last coat of mud. However, I would still prime it.
Handyman50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 06:39 AM   #5
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Your questions have been somewhat answered already, but I'll clarify....

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNeat View Post
....My question is what steps do I take for new drywall? Do I need to put a thin flat coat of mud on first, or jump right into the finished look I am after?
Apply your texture directly to the new drywall surface, no other coating is required before that work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNeat View Post
Do I prime the new drywal before applying the texture or after applying, but before paint?
There's been debates on the site about this.

Generally, if you apply a primer coat to your drywall surface BEFORE the Texture is applied: It will take longer to cure, since the moisture content in it can't be absorbed into the drywall. If the area gets considerably wet, the texture is less likely to seperate from the drywall and come off.

Generally, if you apply a primer coat to your drywall surface AFTER the Texture is applied: It will dry and cure faster, since the moisture from the texture can be aborbed into the drywall. If the area gets considerably wet, the texture may seperate and peel-off in larger areas.

Generally such factors are more a concern on ceiling surfaces with plumbing behind it, or a roof over it.

What do we do? We mix flat latex white paint into our texture, then apply it directly over the new drywall surfaces. We figure that if there is enough water damage to an area to seperate the texture from the drywall, it is also going to seperate any taped seams, pop nails/screws, and do other damage that requires scraping off the texture anyways, in order to perform a proper repair...
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote