Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-19-2009, 08:51 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Started gutting my bathroom today...

Hi,

My name Rick and this is my first post here. I have been taking on bigger & bigger projects since i purchased my "handyman special" in May and am taking on biggest challenge yet!

So, to make a long story short, I needed to replace a broken exhaust fan, and ended up deciding to go for a "partial" gut job instead.

Most of my questions are about the existing structure and what can be used.

1) The exhaust fan is located in a soffit right above the shower (probably why it broke) and was vented out the side of the house. I would like to get rid of the soffit and move the fan to the center of the room through the ceiling. Is there a way to re-route the flexible tubing through the attic and use the old vent or do I need to create a completely new vent out through the roof?

2) The floor tile is in good shape and I plan on just re-grouting it. The sheet-rock on the ceiling and walls are also in very good shape and look practically new (maybe they were protected by the wall paper that was on there?). The wall tile has taken a beating though (too much mildew because of the broken exhaust) and covers the entire shower, the soffit above the shower, and runs around the entire bathroom at about 3 1/2 feet high. Can I demo just the "tiled" sheet-rock tile and keep the remaining sheet-rock?

I'm sure these are just my initial questions. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Rick

Mantaray14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 08:56 PM   #2
Remodeling Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

without seeing your planned route and access we cannot help with how the new exhaust can be routed. Keep in mind it is better to vent through the roof then the soffit. Keep bends to a minimum since they reduce air flow and keep the length as short as possible and under 12' Use flex duct for about 12" then transition to 4" metal round duct. Insulate the duct to prevent condensation.

Yes you can just remove the sheetrock where the tile is installed. Install 1/2" Cement backer board instead of drywall if you are going to tile these walls.

Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 07:47 AM   #3

Thanks Bob,

My brother-in-law installs these fans sometimes and that it should be in the middle of the room and vented through the roof too. He will help me with this part, so it's not a big deal.

Thanks for the tip about the cement board...

Also, when I removed the toilet and the wax ring, it seems like the metal flange is connected to the sewer pipe and is not removable. Am I missing something here? This is a 1950's home and I'm worried that this old flange won't come off! (In that case do I just re-use it? It's really disgusting like the wax ring)

Rick
Old 11-20-2009, 08:21 AM   #4
Remodeling Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

just clean and reuse unless it is damaged. New wax seal. You may have to add extension rings to get this up flush with the new tile floor.
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 12:22 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 150

Hopefully this isn't too late: Careful with that metal flange! I had a '50s era home previously and that flange was hand-fabricated lead. Lucky for me I was able to hammer back down the part I messed with.
cgoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 06:26 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgoll View Post
Hopefully this isn't too late: Careful with that metal flange! I had a '50s era home previously and that flange was hand-fabricated lead. Lucky for me I was able to hammer back down the part I messed with.
I'm not gonna mess with it. I'd like to clean it up a bit more though. Any tips for getting the wax caked grime out of the flange?
Old 11-24-2009, 08:48 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 150

Why bother cleaning it up? As long as it is in one piece and smooth enough to make continuous contact w/ the wax, it's good to go. No one's gonna see it anyway.

cgoll is offline   Reply With Quote