DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Remodeling (http://www.diychatroom.com/f15/)
-   -   Stair Fix (http://www.diychatroom.com/f15/stair-fix-129315/)

opjar01 01-08-2012 09:35 PM

Stair Fix
 
1 Attachment(s)
How do i fix the gaps on either side of the stairs? I think the original owner intended for carpet to be laid. Gaps are up to 1 inch. Treads and risers are nailed and glued. This is not new construction.



Attachment 43777

joecaption 01-08-2012 09:43 PM

If this is new constrution the gaps are there for sheetrock and the skirt boards to fit into. The treads that are there now should be what's called constrution treads. There just rough treads for workers to be able to get up and down on.
If this is an older house there should be no gaps there. What do the treads look like, just plywood or OSB?

titanoman 01-08-2012 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joecaption
If this is new constrution the gaps are there for sheetrock and the skirt boards to fit into. The treads that are there now should be what's called constrution treads. There just rough treads for workers to be able to get up and down on.

They are permanent as they're glued.

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy S2

BigJim 01-08-2012 10:09 PM

Are the stairs supposed to be finished or are they going to do more to them?

titanoman 01-08-2012 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jiju1943
Are the stairs supposed to be finished or are they going to do more to them?

The op thinks the original plan called for carpet.

Are they in good shape, the bull-noses not all busted up?
What are you going to finish then with? Are you going to have a skirt
board? The gap should cover, with something, shouldn't they?

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy S2

opjar01 01-08-2012 10:42 PM

I would like to finish the stairs, but need to close off those gaps. Stair material is in good shape just stained from use. Its a high traffic area so im thinking something durable with good traction.

titanoman 01-08-2012 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by opjar01
I would like to finish the stairs, but need to close off those gaps. Stair material is in good shape just stained from use. Its a high traffic area so im thinking something durable with good traction.

Like what?? Wood? Rubber? Metal? Paint?

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy S2

oh'mike 01-09-2012 05:47 AM

Add wood skirt boards on either side--then a cap molding---

joecaption 01-09-2012 06:27 AM

Not trying to add to your post Mike, just trying to add a step to make it easyer to do, I'd finish the drywall , prime and paint it, then add the skirt board.
What may have happened is this was a preassembled stair unit that was just dropped into place.
This is some pictures to show what a skirt board in place should look like.
http://www.stairsupplies.com/eng/com...ls?project=913

BigJim 01-09-2012 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oh'mike (Post 817189)
Add wood skirt boards on either side--then a cap molding---

I agree but the space looks a little wide for a 1X12, you may need to install the 1X12 and shim it tight against the stairs then install a run of maybe base cap on top of the skirt to hide the gap. I wish you had had the picture up when you made the original post.

titanoman 01-09-2012 09:51 AM

How come nobody else is asking how she plans on finishing the stairs? Anything you do, except paint, can cover the gap.

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy S2

joecaption 01-09-2012 02:41 PM

How do i fix the gaps on either side of the stairs? I think the original owner intended for carpet to be laid. (quote)

Your right but by there post carpet is not what there looking for.

BigJim 01-09-2012 03:09 PM

If anyone didn't go back and look, here is a picture of the stairs the OP posted later.


http://www.diychatroom.com/attachmen...2900962079.jpg

titanoman 01-09-2012 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jiju1943
If anyone didn't go back and look, here is a picture of the stairs the OP posted later.

So by finish, they mean leave them as they are.
If it's a 1" gap, I guess a skirt board over 1/4" ply.

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy S2

opjar01 01-09-2012 05:25 PM

Because of the traffic it recieves I was thinking about finishing it off with truck bed liner. I have already considered a skirt board however the gaps are not consistant. If the suggestion is to trim all the risers and treads what saw would i use to do so? And it seems it would be tedious.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:29 PM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved