Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-03-2009, 08:07 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |
Question

Staining Cabinets??? HELP

Hi, I am really want to re-stain our walnut cabinets and need help. I am not sure what is a good stain to use, I want a deep chocolate cabinet. Dose walnut stain well? How far does a gallon of stain go?

BE glad for any feed back
thank you

Netta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 05:10 AM   #2
Remodeling Contractor

Walnut stains very well. A gallon goes a very long way. To get a deep finish you may want to use a dye stain followed by a wiping stain. Buy quality stains at a paint store. Stay away from low quality like minwax and such. I use Mohawk stains.

Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 07:21 AM   #3

Try to find an inconspicious place to do some testing first with some samples.
Old 03-04-2009, 12:58 PM   #4

if you want to get a professional look, make sure that you stain between coats. After sanding, you may want to wipe it with steel wool as well. i dont know the methods/madness behind it but I have done it both ways and and the sanding between makes it look so much better.
Medic507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 01:05 PM   #5
Remodeling Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medic507 View Post
if you want to get a professional look, make sure that you stain between coats. After sanding, you may want to wipe it with steel wool as well. i dont know the methods/madness behind it but I have done it both ways and and the sanding between makes it look so much better.

Maybe a typo? Stain between coats? I think you mean sand between coats. But if using a dye and wiping stain which will give a much deeper look you would not sand between coats of stain. You stain let dry stain let dry and seal. Then sand wipe clean tack cloth and then two or more top coats. You always sand between finishing coats to scuff the surface enough to allow better adhesion of the next coat. (no madness involved here) Sanding or wiping with steel wool is the same thing. One is used for some materials and finishes or surfaces and sanding is used in other cases.
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 04:16 PM   #6

Angry

Preciate that catch. sorry, I did mean stain. Just going by what i have always been told. didnt mean to give any misinformation.

Medic507 is offline   Reply With Quote