Staining - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-22-2010, 02:12 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Staining

I am redoing my kitchen cupboards and woodwork. I am finding that I have different kinds of wood throughout the kitchen. I was going to leave everything natural, but I am not a fan of light wood. So, I want to stain now. My question is, with the different kinds of wood in the kitchen will the stain turn out ok? Or will it have different shades because of the different types of wood?

Please help. This has been a nightmare project. Plus, I have a disability and the work has been slow because of it. Any input will be helpful.

Thank you.
Cheryl

Advertisement

cherylcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 03:42 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 150

Staining

Yup it will have different shades. It won't be too noticable if the peices are not right next to each other. I say give it a try on the insides of doors and you will see. I recommend Oil Based ZAR stain. And Oil Based ZAR poly.

Advertisement

slickgt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to slickgt1 For This Useful Post:
cherylcher (06-22-2010)
Old 06-24-2010, 02:18 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

Staining

Without experience, staining this set up to get an acceptable result will be very hard. I would practice on three pieces of a similar wood to see if you'll be successful before doing any part of the cabinets.
You should know what species of wood you have.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 07:27 PM   #4

Staining

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
Without experience, staining this set up to get an acceptable result will be very hard. I would practice on three pieces of a similar wood to see if you'll be successful before doing any part of the cabinets.
You should know what species of wood you have.
Ron
Thanks Ron,

I've done staining before but it has been on all of the same type of wood. I believe some of the wood is pine. There has been some plywood installed also. Which of course I didn't know about until I got down to the bare wood. Also, the frames of the doorways are oak. If this helps with an answer, I would greatly appreciate!!!!!
Cheryl
Old 06-24-2010, 07:29 PM   #5

Staining

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickgt1 View Post
Yup it will have different shades. It won't be too noticable if the peices are not right next to each other. I say give it a try on the insides of doors and you will see. I recommend Oil Based ZAR stain. And Oil Based ZAR poly.
Hi, Thanks for your input. I don't know what Zar is. Is that the name brand of stain and poly?

Cheryl
Old 06-25-2010, 05:06 AM   #6
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,228

Staining

yes it is
Attached Images
File Type: bmp zar.bmp (43.3 KB, 18 views)
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 09:34 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,000

Staining

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherylcher View Post
Thanks Ron,

I've done staining before but it has been on all of the same type of wood. I believe some of the wood is pine. There has been some plywood installed also. Which of course I didn't know about until I got down to the bare wood. Also, the frames of the doorways are oak. If this helps with an answer, I would greatly appreciate!!!!!
Cheryl
Pine and the plywood will absorb the stain quicker then oak and get darker and splotch. You would need to apply a stain conditioner to these to regulate the absorption into the wood. Older wood will suck in the stain differently then new wood, so light coats would be the way to go.
Ron

Advertisement

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote