Space Allocation: Dbl. Door Refrig. - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-02-2013, 09:00 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 43

Space Allocation: Dbl. Door Refrig.

The kitchen and much of the rest of this house is going to be gutted. I have framed up a powder room that now occupies the space where a single door refrig. use to reside. The only space left for a refrigerator that makes sense is in a corner where there is (was) a door leading down to the basement. So I cut an opening in the wall leading into the kitchen framed up and repositioned the door there. Then I studded up the original door opening. The freezer door will open toward the side wall where the old basement door used to be. The right hand door will swing to the right toward the base cabinets. My question is how much more space (in inches) should I allocate for the doors swinging out to the left and right before I order new base cabinets? Perhaps the answer can be expressed in an angle that is greater than 90 degrees from being closed? Thanks

Advertisement

Telescopist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 09:19 AM   #2
MEASURE ONCE, CUT TWICE

Rewards Points: 722

I'm designing my house now and the #'s on the drawing below allow the fridge to touch the counter beside it.

If the fridge sticks way out beyond the face of the cabinets and counter, the doors should clear no problem.

I used my existing fridge for this.

I will go home later and double check since you brought this up.
On my drawing, it appears that the door on the left will hit the counter.
Attached Thumbnails
Space Allocation: Dbl. Door Refrig.-xxx.jpg  

Advertisement

123pugsy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 10:39 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123pugsy View Post
I'm designing my house now and the #'s on the drawing below allow the fridge to touch the counter beside it.

If the fridge sticks way out beyond the face of the cabinets and counter, the doors should clear no problem.
Yes. The right hand door will clear the theoretical counter. I just tested this. For me, the problem is the left door and the wall. Opening just to 90 degrees won't cut it. You can't remove drawers. There is a 'natural' location point where the freezer door (left) comes to a stop when it opens. I didn't have a t-bevel & protractor handy to measure the angle of this opening. But I do have a tape measure handy. I created a 'wall' using a 2X4. By my reckoning the space needed to the left is between 8 & 9".

Quote:
I used my existing fridge for this. I will go home later and double check since you brought this up. On my drawing, it appears that the door on the left will hit the counter.
Old 11-02-2013, 12:33 PM   #4
MEASURE ONCE, CUT TWICE

Rewards Points: 722

Checked it. If I had a wall beside my freezer door and it were to have drawers, would require 12" to open fully.
123pugsy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 01:26 PM   #5
K&B Designer

Rewards Points: 250

Different brands have different accessibility requirements. It's not a one size fits all equation. Generally though, when I'm designing a kitchen around a generic unknown refrigerator, I like to use a 9" broom pantry or pull out pantry between a refrigerator and adjacent wall, with a 36"x72" alcove created for that fridge. That suffices for everyday use. When removing the bins completely is necessary for cleaning, simply rolling the fridge forward enough to access them will work for that.
Old 11-02-2013, 02:10 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live_Oak View Post
Different brands have different accessibility requirements. It's not a one size fits all equation. Generally though, when I'm designing a kitchen around a generic unknown refrigerator, I like to use a 9" broom pantry or pull out pantry between a refrigerator and adjacent wall, with a 36"x72" alcove created for that fridge. That suffices for everyday use. When removing the bins completely is necessary for cleaning, simply rolling the fridge forward enough to access them will work for that.
A 9" recessed broom pantry would work as long as it is behind the mounted door. Nine inches is about what I figured to need anyway in order to open the freezer door to a guesstimate of 30 degrees. I don't have a lot of real estate to work with in this room. Counter space will be at a premium now that I framed out for a powder room. One option albeit a budget breaker would be to get rid of the current double door refrig. and purchase a French door refrig. I not sure even that would solve the problem though..

Advertisement