Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-05-2013, 05:15 PM   #1

Share |

Soundproofing Bonus Room!

Hey everyone,

We moved into our first home about a month ago and we have this huge bonus room attached to the garage about 20ft from the house and probably 40ft from any neighbours - I'd like to sound proof as well as possible so I have somewhere to play my drums.

Does anyone have any experience with anything like this? any recommended products?

I'm a complete amateur DIYer but I'd like to get involved and do as much of the work as possible myself.

I can provide more details/photos/etc

wixman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 05:59 PM   #2

What's your budget and expectations? Soundproofing can get very expensive depending on you anticipated results. You can also waste a ton of money if you don't do it right.

hotkarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:21 PM   #3

don't really want to spend over $1000 ideally. Expectations, is being able to play drums without upsetting everyone. Doesn't have to be completely sound proofed, just quite enough to not bother people in their homes.
wixman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 07:40 PM   #4

During a remodel of my homes few years ago I found on the web an example of framing two parallel walls spaced an inch or so apart and the stud alignment offset on each wall from the other. Then weave fiberglass insulation batts horizontally between the walls. Then covered with thick drywall. Was pretty easy, inexpensive compared to many dedicated sound materials, and has done a pretty good job of keeping household and TV sounds out of bedrooms.

Drums are tough to quiet. I played them for years.

YMMV. (-:
Old 09-06-2013, 12:53 AM   #5

It's gonna be tough on a grand. If you just want to lessen the impact without getting too crazy do 2 layers of 5/8 sheetrock. Make sure you seal any and all openings and seams with spray foam/caulking. Insulate all the walls. You need to encapsulate the room as best as possible. The door will be tough to really seal up airtight. The high frequencies will be easier to deal with however the lows(bass/drums) will be next to impossible to really take care of on that budget. I've built 3 studios over the years and am currently on my 4th(actually a rebuild due to hurricane Sandy) and its been a learning curve every time but I am building them better/smarter learning from my mistakes as I go. There is a ton of info on the net but a lot of it is not very helpful or realistic. I've been able to build them to the point where it just sounds like a loud radio coming through as opposed to living next to Madison Square Garden on a couple of grand.
hotkarl is offline   Reply With Quote