Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-17-2013, 08:42 PM   #1

Share |

so, my room is out of square

and that is no surprise. but what i am wondering is = when does that become an issue ? mostly when it comes to cabinets. idk how much "fudge factor" is too much.

thanx

Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 08:47 PM   #2
DIY staff

Cabinets--counter tops and most flooring become a challenge ---avoid European frameless cabinets---plan on custom cut counter tops---and do your flooring layout to disguise the out of whack walls----If this stuff was easy -----we could charge less and make more money----

Old 07-17-2013, 08:51 PM   #3
DIY staff

With cabinets you have a 1/2" gap on the cabinet sides---you can 'bend' the cabinet inward at the back that much---the face frame is wider than the cabinet box.

If the walls are seriously out of square---figure a filler strip between the two corner cabinets to give you even more swing.
Old 07-17-2013, 09:12 PM   #4

this is the style/color of cabinet that i am thinking (but not the over stove thing).
http://thecabinetjoint.com/wp-conten...m-1000x668.jpg

either concrete or granite tops. so i think no problem there.

flooring, i have yet to decide. but i think i can make that work.

my kitchen is going to be U shaped. fridge, micro and sink on the left side. stove center and just cabinets on the right.

the sides are parallel enough. the back wall, the right side is out about 1 1/2".
the upper cabinets are not an issue, afaik. the lowers will be where the issues are.
Old 07-17-2013, 09:51 PM   #5
DIY staff

Will you have a lazy susan in the corner? If so, they are usually 'unboxed' and make for a very forgiving installation---the corners can be rather out of square before an issue arises.
Old 07-17-2013, 09:54 PM   #6
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fix'n it View Post
and that is no surprise. but what i am wondering is = when does that become an issue ? mostly when it comes to cabinets. idk how much "fudge factor" is too much.

thanx
All rooms are out of square, due to when most foundations are done, most GC's and the person in charge of the lower level foundation company, do not check to make sure the foundation is a square box, or if irregular, that the corners are not square.

You start out with a Trapezoid, you have to compensate by fudging the walls to make them appear square.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 10:12 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
Will you have a lazy susan in the corner?
i haven't thought that far ahead. i was going to get the room dimensions , then have a few retailers show me some designs, and pick the one i like.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fix'n it For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (07-18-2013)
Old 07-17-2013, 10:16 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
All rooms are out of square, due to when most foundations are done, most GC's and the person in charge of the lower level foundation company, do not check to make sure the foundation is a square box, or if irregular, that the corners are not square.

You start out with a Trapezoid, you have to compensate by fudging the walls to make them appear square.
yeah, thats my problem.

this is what my room is like. but not as bad, obviously. about 1 1/2' or so.
so the left corner would be something like 91 deg, and the right corner would something like 89 deg.
http://www.geom.uiuc.edu/education/c...n/gif/trap.gif

may i ask. what do you mean by 'fudging" ?
Old 07-18-2013, 12:27 AM   #9
JOATMON

Now you now why I'm doing my own addition.....

But in defense of contractors....as hard as I tried to get everything 'square'.....it's not 'perfectly' square. I guess things 'move' before you get it all done....

I would also like to point out that I'm pretty much convinced that 2x4 construction for is minimal at best....even though I 'selected' all the 2x4's I used....I still have walls that are not as straight as I would like.....it becomes 'painfully' obvious when you start hanging drywall.

Hence....the #1 rule of DIY.....No wall is straight...

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:40 AM   #10
Remodel and New Build GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
Now you now why I'm doing my own addition.....

But in defense of contractors....as hard as I tried to get everything 'square'.....it's not 'perfectly' square. I guess things 'move' before you get it all done....

I would also like to point out that I'm pretty much convinced that 2x4 construction for is minimal at best....even though I 'selected' all the 2x4's I used....I still have walls that are not as straight as I would like.....it becomes 'painfully' obvious when you start hanging drywall.

Hence....the #1 rule of DIY.....No wall is straight...
Dawg.... YUUP!

I think of it as, and explained to my son, that building is just constantly: "erring in the correct direction"...

the point being, nothing is ever perfect, and we are always trying to bring it back in the correct direction... whether we're shimming/shaving rough or pushing our miter saw arm laterally to gain a litle tighter miter in finish work.

(Cut it fat or thin on the line....just the correct direction toward perfect)

Best

Peter
Old 07-18-2013, 12:14 PM   #11
Coconut Pete's paella!

My kitchen is far from square.

On one side, the cabinet is X distance from the wall to the right of it at the back and probably X+0.5" at the front. I have a filler strip there.

On the other side (corner) it's the other way around. The cabinet is shimmed out to allow the cabinets to fit flushly together on that wall.

Hanging that d@mn corner cabinet took longer than any other single thing in that kitchen!!!!!
CoconutPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 12:36 PM   #12
Remodel and New Build GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoconutPete View Post
My kitchen is far from square.

On one side, the cabinet is X distance from the wall to the right of it at the back and probably X+0.5" at the front. I have a filler strip there.

On the other side (corner) it's the other way around. The cabinet is shimmed out to allow the cabinets to fit flushly together on that wall.

Hanging that d@mn corner cabinet took longer than any other single thing in that kitchen!!!!!
Granite Counter Install:

Have you guys run into this..... I had granite counters contracted in a flip home of mine... this company showed up for the install and, although the had been out previously and made their forms, they had not "scribed and cut" the back of the granite for irregularity in the backsplash wall.

They wanted to, and I let them due to timing issues, let that into the drywall.... I made them cut the let-in drywall carefully... not pierce the vapor barrier... but I thought it was a cheap shortcut/oversight by this granite contractor.

Just wondered if you guys had run into this procedure... and what you thought of it... other jobs I've sent out... back of counter was scribed for any material non-straightness.

Best

Peter

Last edited by MTN REMODEL LLC; 07-18-2013 at 12:38 PM.
MTN REMODEL LLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:07 PM   #13
DIY staff

I've had to remove some drywall to get base cabinet into an alcove----some things you just have to figure out as you go---do not tell anyone I did that----Mike----
Old 07-18-2013, 07:12 PM   #14

Quote:
I've had to remove some drywall to get base cabinet into an alcove----some things you just have to figure out as you go---do not tell anyone I did that----Mike----
"we won't" said millions of people in unison
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to creeper For This Useful Post:
MTN REMODEL LLC (07-18-2013)
Old 07-18-2013, 07:19 PM   #15
Remodel and New Build GC

Quote:
Don't tell anyone..... we all have.... or we're liars.... guess I'm a hypocrit and don't like paying others for taking necessary shortcuts that I've also had to take. (at myself)

Best