Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-27-2011, 05:53 PM   #1

Share |

Is this smart or stupid?

I'd love to move our basement laundry up to the first floor and have the perfect spot for it. Directly behind the washer+dryer are the water lines, the drain (which goes into the floor; 1.5" PVC with a trap) and directly above the dryer is the vent out the back of the house. It's a one-story ranch. Where I'd like to put the upstairs laundry is directly across the house, 24 feet away. The floor joists run in the direction that the new lines and drain will run to get to the new room so that's a huge plus.

What my concern is, is if running the dryer vent down through the floor then straight over 24 feet is smart or not? It will have one or two 90 bends (likely 2) and I'll use your typical vent pipe attached with duct tape. I've read numerous sites that say it should be ok but I wanted a few extra opinions. Also, when I do finish the basement I want to sheetrock it so I won't be able to access it. I have thought of a way to clean it with a large brush/rag attached to a line that I can pull through, and I will likely install a post-dryer filter to help mitigate any build-up inside the vent. Lastly, I can't vent anywhere else because behind the dryer is the front of my brick house and I'm not cutting through brick.

The other concern I have is running the 1.5" PVC drain 24 feet. My floor joists are 8" so I could angle the PVC a few inches for draining purposes. I'm just not sure if this is acceptable or not. This same drain is used for the gutter outside, if that matters.

If pictures would help I can take them in a few hours when I get home.

Thanks in advance!

mazeroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 06:15 PM   #2
DIY staff

Is this smart or stupid?

Pictures will help---24 feet is to long--There must be a shorter route--dryer vents need to be cleaned every year or two--don't bury it,you will be sorry if you do.

http://www.appliance411.com/faq/dryer-vent-length.shtml

Old 01-27-2011, 06:29 PM   #3
Wire Chewer

Is this smart or stupid?

If you are going to make a run that long use solid pipe and not spiral, but I'd avoid it altogether. Best to just punch another hole at the area you need it. Keep the other vent there as a "dummy" vent, nobody will know the difference. Just shove some insulation in it and glue it shut. (the old one)

Good idea to have a smoke detector in the laundry room too, just in case something goes wrong.
Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Red Squirrel For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (01-27-2011)
Old 01-27-2011, 06:35 PM   #4

Is this smart or stupid?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
Pictures will help---24 feet is to long--There must be a shorter route--dryer vents need to be cleaned every year or two--don't bury it,you will be sorry if you do.

http://www.appliance411.com/faq/dryer-vent-length.shtml
According to your link, the average recommended maximum vent length is 35.8 feet for a vent with 2 90 elbows and a Type A hood, which I'll be using. That includes the 25 feet outliers like Magic Chef. We have a new, very nice $1500 Samsung side-by-side set so I would imagine it would have a pretty decent blower. Still, I do agree, 24 feet is longer than I would like to vent but it may be my only choice. Moving it to the upstairs would be wonderful. No more going up and down to do laundry AND the biggest plus is a much larger finished theater as I will gain 100 ft2 taking out the laundry room.

Thanks for the input. Keep them coming!
Old 01-27-2011, 06:45 PM   #5
DIY staff

Is this smart or stupid?

http://www.contractortalk.com/f9/dry...uestion-14655/

read this--good stuff
Old 01-27-2011, 07:41 PM   #6

Is this smart or stupid?

It's a 1 storey ranch. I'm sure you can get the dryer exhaust out of the house in less then 24 feet.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 08:10 PM   #7

Is this smart or stupid?

Beside the duct issue, you have a few plumbing problems. Current codes calls for a 2" drain size for a washer, in which a vent would have to be located within 5' or 8' of the arm depending on your local codes. Dropping a 1/4" per foot for 24 feet in a 2 x 8 chase will not work. Then you have the added problem of where you want this to drain. Putting grey water into anything other than the sewer or septic I doubt would be code anywhere. I would also doubt the water the comes from your gutters is hooked up to your sewer or septic, it would not be legal in the state of Washington or other states for that matter. Check your local codes first.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:43 PM   #8

Is this smart or stupid?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mop in Hand View Post
Beside the duct issue, you have a few plumbing problems. Current codes calls for a 2" drain size for a washer, in which a vent would have to be located within 5' or 8' of the arm depending on your local codes. Dropping a 1/4" per foot for 24 feet in a 2 x 8 chase will not work. Then you have the added problem of where you want this to drain. Putting grey water into anything other than the sewer or septic I doubt would be code anywhere. I would also doubt the water the comes from your gutters is hooked up to your sewer or septic, it would not be legal in the state of Washington or other states for that matter. Check your local codes first.
Good news. I didn't figure the drain part out correctly. I can slope it 12" over a 24 foot run, so 1/2" every foot. Much better. The drain I said came from the gutter does indeed come from the gutter. I went outside and traced it and it runs right up to the gutter. Would this double as a gutter drain AND a vent since it does vent directly outside?

Second, all the drains in my house for sinks and utilities are 1.5". Couldn't I just keep using 1.5"? Our washer is a He model that barely uses water. I don't see the need to go to a 2" pipe, especially since the washer has a 1" drain hose. Doing a little geometry, a 1.5" drain has 2.25x the area of the 1" drain hose.

Now, about the venting. I know why drain systems need vents, especially for waste water. I don't see the harm in draining 24 feet at 1/2" per foot with washing machine water. That water will reach the bottom in only a few seconds, and with the increased slope will mitigate any retainable fluids. In essense, everything will flush very quickly, go out of the house, and be at the vent in only a few seconds. Code? Probably not. Is it going to cause any harm? You guys tell me. Actually, do washing machines, in the basement, need vented?

Thanks again. All good info so far!
Old 01-27-2011, 10:10 PM   #9

Is this smart or stupid?

As I explained before, draining grey water into anything other than a septic or sewer would not be a good idea. Sooner or later it will start to smell and possibly clog your perimeter drain if in fact that is what you have. Would it be code? No. Would it work? Maybe. When it's time to sell it's going to be a red flag. You asked if this is smart or stupid? Well?
Old 01-27-2011, 10:24 PM   #10

Is this smart or stupid?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mop in Hand View Post
As I explained before, draining grey water into anything other than a septic or sewer would not be a good idea. Sooner or later it will start to smell and possibly clog your perimeter drain if in fact that is what you have. Would it be code? No. Would it work? Maybe. When it's time to sell it's going to be a red flag. You asked if this is smart or stupid? Well?
I would merely be extending the grey water. Right now it drains right behind the clothes washer. I would extend the drain from the new location directly back into its original spot. This indeed goes to sewage. Other than "code" for ventilation, which I think is stupid for grey water as some people reuse it outside, I don't see any problems.
Old 01-27-2011, 10:48 PM   #11

Is this smart or stupid?

Check with your local Building Inspector for problems, as new plumbing or making a new laundry room needs a permit, most likely..... You may need a pan under the washer, smoke alarm (as mentioned), automatic trap primer for overflows, etc.....
The manufacturer’s chart Mike gave is an older one, I’ve been using it for two years….
Check your owners manual for duct length, which is what the Inspector will do, also “click” on 1-6 here; http://publicecodes.citation.com/ico...002_par004.htm
Nice to have a "paper trail" for H.O.Insurance if ever a problem it was installed to minimum Code for a claim..

Gary