Sloped Bathroom Ceiling - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-24-2008, 08:08 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Sloped Bathroom ceiling

Howdy folks,

I'm re-building a half-bath in the upper level of a house with a 12/12 pitch roof, adding a bath tub. Due to plumbing and structural conserns, the tub will have to be situated along the knee walls, with the ceiling sloping from 4' to 8' above it. The ceiing is presently drywall, and the room has a very strong exhaust fan at floor level venting out of the house (not the unfinished attic space.)

With the ceiling being so close to the tub, I would think it will get some steam contact. Of course I'd love to not re-do the ceiling and just paint the heck out of it, but suspect I might run into some problems long term.

Anyone have some advice?

Advertisement

DSKUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 12:16 AM   #2
Drywall contractor

Rewards Points: 1,044

Sloped Bathroom ceiling

With proper ventilation and bath "appropriate" paint you shouldn't have issues just from humidity/steam. If you are truly concerned, you could put up backer board and tile it......

Advertisement

Old 12-25-2008, 01:03 AM   #3
K&B Remodeler/Tile Guy

Rewards Points: 500

Sloped Bathroom ceiling

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSKUP View Post
the room has a very strong exhaust fan at floor level venting out of the house (not the unfinished attic space.)
Why is there an exhaust fan at floor level? If the exhaust fan was near the peak of the ceiling, you'd be good to go. That's where the steam/moisture will rise to.
Old 12-27-2008, 08:08 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Sloped Bathroom ceiling

Thanks for the replies. The fan is floor level because the vent duct runs down a crawl space behind the knee boards and out the gabel wall of the house. I could put a vent on the ceiling, but I would then have to do some roof work... which isn't particularly fun on the 12/12 pitch. But of course I can do it if necessary.
DSKUP is offline   Reply With Quote