Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-28-2009, 10:39 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

skimming bathroom

hi

i am getting part of my bathroom installed. i am keeping the existing toilet and basin, and was thinking of getting the walls skimmed rather than papered. can a tradesman skim around existing stuff and does the wallpaper need to be removed first.

thanks

pmunroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 11:38 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

skimming bathroom

What do you call skimming?
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 11:48 AM   #3

skimming bathroom

applying plaster to the walls for a smooth finish, then painted, rather than wallpaper
Old 02-28-2009, 01:03 PM   #4
Drywall contractor

Rewards Points: 1,000

skimming bathroom

I HAVE skimmed over wallpaper to "kill" the texture and help hide the seams so it can be painted. I don't recommend it and I don't guarantee that seams won't "telegraph" back through. Some papers will want to turn loose when the wet mud hits it. Often as the paper gets older, the corners will "round out" (the paper shrinks and pulls away). You have to cut that part out and often once you break that bond, the paper will, again, turn loose when the mud is applied. If you decide to go this route, I'd recommend cutting away any loose wallpaper (that's apparent) and priming before skimming with a quality primer. Then skim, sand, and prime/paint. No problem working around existing fixtures except you can't really get behind the tank on the commode. Same problem with painting usually, so it's not uncommon for that area to be left as-is. (Who's going to look??) If it were me I'd opt for removing the wallpaper, but that can open up another whole "can of worms".....
Old 02-28-2009, 01:24 PM   #5

skimming bathroom

thank you
they are good walls and in very good condition. i think it might be best to remove old wallpaper then plaster over for a high quality finish.
do you think this would be expensive? the bathroom is approx 1.8m x 2.8 m
Old 02-28-2009, 01:59 PM   #6
Drywall contractor

Rewards Points: 1,000

skimming bathroom

Expensive is a relative term and I really can't give an answer to that aspect. There are many variables such as how difficult it is to get the paper down; are you going to remove it or the contractor; how much damage is inflicted on the walls getting the paper down (seldom does it just come right down, but you may get lucky). I would at least try removing some paper to see how hard it's going to be. That may be the deciding factor. And I'm guessing the conversion would work out to maybe 5' x 8'??? I'm not much on metric conversion........
Old 03-01-2009, 06:29 AM   #7
Man of many hats

Rewards Points: 268

skimming bathroom

As far as behind the tank goes, it's all too easy to turn off the water, disconnect the water supply, drain tank and remove the two bolts holding the tank to the bowl and remove the tank itself. Then, if in the future you HAVE to, or want to change the commode, you don't have to worry about an unfinished portion of the wall showing. 10-15 mins, and usually no new replacement parts needed.