Siding Over Stucco - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-23-2010, 02:52 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

siding over stucco

I have a 1970 house that has a stucco exterior. To me its more like cement with lots of rocks and broken glass. It really dates the house, and my wife wants it gone. I understand to side the house I need to install furring strips? Do I just nail 1x3's threw the stucco. It seems very hard wont it crack? I would also replace the windows at the same time. Is house wrap and foam insulation over the stucco an option? Any other suggegtions on refinishing the exterior (other than siding) are more than welcome. Thanks for any advice

Advertisement

jcrawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 04:46 PM   #2
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,514

siding over stucco

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrawley View Post
I have a 1970 house that has a stucco exterior. To me its more like cement with lots of rocks and broken glass. It really dates the house, and my wife wants it gone. I understand to side the house I need to install furring strips? Do I just nail 1x3's threw the stucco. It seems very hard wont it crack? I would also replace the windows at the same time. Is house wrap and foam insulation over the stucco an option? Any other suggegtions on refinishing the exterior (other than siding) are more than welcome. Thanks for any advice
I agree with your wife, get rid of it, get back to the framing so you can deal with any rot issues (if any), and properly install your new windows and siding.

Advertisement

Last edited by kwikfishron; 04-23-2010 at 04:53 PM.
kwikfishron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 05:50 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

siding over stucco

Get back to the framing? Thats alot of work and money to re sheet the house. Whats there is in good shape. Removing the stucco seems like an impossible task to me.
jcrawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 06:29 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

siding over stucco

easy to say tear it all off when your not doin the tearin or removal costs. i would suggest a real good inspection of the exterior particularly around openings. check caulk, look for soft spots in walls for possible water penetration. just see if it's in as solid a condition as your first glance showed you
Old 04-23-2010, 07:07 PM   #5
Mod

siding over stucco

I do the “tearing off” all the time, no more difficult than digging a few holes. I would love to learn the proper installation of siding and new windows over Stucco. I know I spout out my opinion on lot’s of subjects here and I also have learned some things here, so “please teach me”.

Last edited by kwikfishron; 04-23-2010 at 08:23 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to kwikfishron For This Useful Post:
Tom Struble (04-23-2010)
Old 04-23-2010, 08:04 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,000

siding over stucco

your right as usual but you know its possible...
Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 08:16 PM   #7
Mod

siding over stucco

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomstruble View Post
your right as usual but you know its possible...

Maybe so, but I always think about the best protection for the house first, that’s my job. Adding more layers is no different than buying another case of caulk. I've sided over many surfaces, some I didn't agree with but it wasn't my dime. If you want my opinion on how to “frost the Cake” I can do that too.

And, thanks for the thanks.
Old 04-23-2010, 08:22 PM   #8

siding over stucco

i think thats what he's looking for Ron,i think we can guide him to help him get the best job possible given the circumstances,and its guys like you that know how to do it
Old 04-23-2010, 08:30 PM   #9
Mod

siding over stucco

I’ve sided 100+ homes(that’s me, not my grunts). I’ve never sided over Stucco let alone installed new windows at the same time. If there is a professional way to do this, I’d honestly would like to know, because I don’t. We don't have a lot of Stucco on the Oregon Coast.

Last edited by kwikfishron; 04-23-2010 at 08:39 PM.
Old 04-23-2010, 08:44 PM   #10

siding over stucco

well how i woudld go about it would be to strap the house with pt furring then install 1/2'' sheathing over that,then 30lb felt...[cause i know you like that]
i would completely pull the old window and door units,resize the openings as needed, flash and install the new units nailing them to the outside of the sheathing

or fix the stucco and repaint
Old 04-24-2010, 10:46 AM   #11
Mod

siding over stucco

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomstruble View Post
well how i woudld go about it would be to strap the house with pt furring then install 1/2'' sheathing over that,then 30lb felt...[cause i know you like that]
i would completely pull the old window and door units,resize the openings as needed, flash and install the new units nailing them to the outside of the sheathing

or fix the stucco and repaint
Whether you build it out or tear it off I can’t see doing it without sheathing, something he clearly didn’t want to do. I couldn’t imagine nailing siding to stucco. He says the stucco is solid and in good shape but that might not be the case after pounding a few thousand holes in it. Don’t know if the wife dislikes the look of stucco or just their stucco. Maybe Stucco Guy can go over what they got for a more up to date look.
Don't know much about that though.

Advertisement