Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-18-2014, 07:10 PM   #1

Share |

Shower Tile over Tile?

I know it isn't ideal but our house has plaster walls with wire mess and tearing out the shower tiles and the tiled shower floor will be a massive undertaking (I know, we already did it the "full way" in another bathroom. That said, unless it is feasible... I guess that is what we will do. But just in case, here are my questions...

If the existing tiles are solid, can I apply a roll on waterproof membrane like Redgard to the entire shower including floor and then tile over?

Should I remove the caulking before doing this?

Any other worries, concerns taking this route?

Thanks for your thoughts.

hdavis73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 07:58 PM   #2
Retired Army Veteran

Shower Tile over Tile?

I have heard of some quick hack ways of doing this, personally I wouldn't reccommend them. The proper way is of course what you already know. Lots of work - no doubt. Additionally, when doing a quick hack, you may run into other troubles, such as plumbing/drainage, tile too high, etc. Just my thoughts.

I'm sure you can google, "retile over tile" and a lot of quick suggestions will pop up.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help to you. It's good you have questions, hopefully they will be answered. Stay tuned, and get some more advice/recommendations from the pro's that frequent this forum before you move forward. Just a suggestion. Thanks.

Last edited by jmon; 04-18-2014 at 08:24 PM.
jmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 09:08 PM   #3

Shower Tile over Tile?

you answered your own question....bang bang bang went the hammer....drink a few bruskies...bang bang bang went the hammer..an so on
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote