Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-30-2006, 09:56 AM   #1

Share |

Shower tile need some help here

My sister wants me to put some tile up in her bathroom. Here is the situation. She hired a contractor to retile just one wall over the tub which had water damage behind the tile. He ripped the old tile down, and put up greenboard, and its all flush and ready to tile. Then he quit coming and they cant get ahold of him. (been 2 months.) here is the problem, I put a piece of tile up on the wall and there is a fairly large gap (3/4 inch) between that tile, and the already installed tile on the side wall. I dont know what to do, i would hate to fill it all with caulk when i am done or would this look okay?. Should i just bite the bullet and retile the whole thing? Any ideas to avoid this would be appreciated.
thanks!

dirtyb115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 06:50 PM   #2

I would install 1/2 cement backer board over the green board to fir it out a little. Not a big fan of green board in showers. That would bring the entire wall out far enough to grout the new tile to the existing tile in the corners

wease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 12:27 PM   #3

Send a message via Yahoo to Joe61

There is a 3/8" dark gray concreate drywall sold at Home Depot which works better on bathroom walls. If I were in your situation I would buy that type drywall and screw it on the existing greenboard and that would leave you a 3/8 play with your tile glue. Just make shure you cork every union on that last concreate drywall and that the existing drywall is correctly leveled. Good Luck!
Joe61 is offline   Reply With Quote