Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-21-2013, 10:58 PM   #1

Share |

Shower tile floor and wall costs

I am having a contractor do a hot mop shower floor and asked him to quote doing all the tiling. The flooring was reasonable, I assume, about $5/sq ft and I provide the tiles. For the walls, he quoted $17.50/sq ft and I provide the 12x24 tiles, mastic and grout. This seemed high to me, but he said special skills are needed so they stay straight and font fall off. Is he kidding me?
Jkatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 03:22 AM   #2
DIY staff

Those big tiles are difficult to set properly.

square foot pricing confuses me---how much is the total to tile the shower?

I hope you meant thinset,not mastic---mastic will never dry behind a big tile----
Old 10-22-2013, 11:04 AM   #3

The total cost to tile is $2000.00. The shower is 5x6. You're right about the thin set...still trying to get all the names straight. I also wanted 6x6 trim along the top and the quote came back as almost $10/tile. To use the 6x6 tile in a doorway threshold as a transition from tile to wood floor, the price went up to $125/ threshold or about $25 per tile. The basic floor in a V pattern is reasonable, so I am opting to just do the 6x6 myself. I just don't understand how contractors do their pricing. I have done some tile jobs before and was not hard, just time consuming.
Old 10-23-2013, 06:59 AM   #4
DIY staff

Tile pricing is based on time---it is time consuming---

Adding a niche,for example, might make a one day job into a two day job---

Some accent stripes need to be done after the field tile is installed and set--this can also cause the job to run into another day.

I figure 'man days'---If a step in the work takes 1/2 day, I might figure it as a 'man day' if no other work can be counted on to fill the rest of the day.

So you can see that square foot pricing is a foolish waste of thought----it's all about how many days are spent on the job---including selling time,driving ,shopping,cleanup and other time---plus overhead--insurance,vehicle cost and more--plus profit---
olzo55 (11-17-2013)
Old 10-23-2013, 07:57 AM   #5

Special skills, huh? You mean like, keep all the tile spacing even? Use the right thinset and mix it correctly so the tiles don't fall off? Geez. If you've done tiling before, why not this time? My wife's first tile job ever was our walk-in shower, and she didn't have any tiles falling off.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 09:59 AM   #6

Sometimes i do think like it is too high, but I just want to get it done and they seemed skilled since they are re doing the entire shower and drains. I will definitely do the trim and all the smaller tiles tho. For some jobs, they charge by sq ft, for some just for the job itself and for others just based on time....sure gets confusing and a good way to hide their extra profits....jmo.
Old 10-23-2013, 01:43 PM   #7

My 34x44 shower was $3000 cash. I provided the drain, tile, grout, the cambria threshold and corner shelves, and did the plumbing. He provided the mud pan, vinyl liner, mortar base, cement board for walls, thinset and shower door.
Attached Thumbnails
Shower tile floor and wall costs-shower.jpg  

Because you NEVER have enough room .........

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CitadelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CitadelBlue For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (10-23-2013)