Shower Recommendations? - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2011, 07:51 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: N.E Ohio
Posts: 127
Rewards Points: 75
Default

Shower Recommendations?


Im planning on redoing my shower next month or so. I would like to get all the materials purchased and waiting so I can work and not keep having to make trip after trip to the store.

Im not too worried about the toilet and sink/vanity, what I'm really worried about is the shower. Ive decided just do install an insert but because of door ways I'm going to have to stick to a 2/3 piece shower insert.

Ive found this one http://www.homedepot.com/Bath-Bathtu...atalogId=10053

But I dont know if its any good or not. It looks likes it has a very solid base, which is good because im 250+

What have you guys used in the past?

Advertisement

mikeylikesit580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 11:04 AM   #2
Member
 
LeviDIY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Rockville, MD
Posts: 289
Rewards Points: 252
Default

Shower Recommendations?


Mikey - are you saying you can't remove the bathtub because of the doorways/walls or can't be new materials INTO the bathroom?

Advertisement

LeviDIY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 08:02 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: N.E Ohio
Posts: 127
Rewards Points: 75
Default

Shower Recommendations?


I cant get a new one peice into the bathroom, which is why im stuck with a 2 peice fiberglass
mikeylikesit580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 10:08 PM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 1,764
Rewards Points: 42
Default

Shower Recommendations?


That is a bath kit you have on that link, not a shower. Whatever fiberglass or acryllic model you go with you need to make sure that bottom is properly supported and there is no movement when you step into it or it will fail over time. I havn't heard anything negative about the Sterling line and I think Kohler recommends sand under the base for support. Many on here have recommended morter under the base. I have not installed one of those. Mine was a cast iron tub with a tile surround. It was a lot of work but I don't worry about it cracking when I step in it.
Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 06:33 PM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,794
Rewards Points: 1,000
Default

Shower Recommendations?


I did whole house remodel a couple years ago. The new deep soaking tub would not go throughout the narrow bathroom entry. In took the opportunity to install a pocket door in another wall of the bath into the guest bedroom there. Moved the tub in while I had the wall open to install the pocket door frame. the guest room now has on-suite bath.

Another time I wanted a one piece shower/tub in a bath. No way was it going to fit through a doorway. There was a tall narrow window in the bath next to the tub/shower area. The window was not energy efficient and caused the bathroom to be sometimes cold. So I ripped open the exterior wall - brought through the tub/shower - closed up the wall installing a new better window.

My point is look for opportunities to make a bigger opening and improve something else while at it.
__________________
____________
Vince
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 08:58 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: N.E Ohio
Posts: 127
Rewards Points: 75
Default

Shower Recommendations?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim F View Post
That is a bath kit you have on that link, not a shower. Whatever fiberglass or acryllic model you go with you need to make sure that bottom is properly supported and there is no movement when you step into it or it will fail over time. I havn't heard anything negative about the Sterling line and I think Kohler recommends sand under the base for support. Many on here have recommended morter under the base. I have not installed one of those. Mine was a cast iron tub with a tile surround. It was a lot of work but I don't worry about it cracking when I step in it.
Jim, Thank You, Sand is a good idea, Ive heard alot about mortar. Never Sand Though. Ive heard alot of good sterling, and its very sturdy. Ill let you know what I decide to go with.
mikeylikesit580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 09:00 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: N.E Ohio
Posts: 127
Rewards Points: 75
Default

Shower Recommendations?


Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
I did whole house remodel a couple years ago. The new deep soaking tub would not go throughout the narrow bathroom entry. In took the opportunity to install a pocket door in another wall of the bath into the guest bedroom there. Moved the tub in while I had the wall open to install the pocket door frame. the guest room now has on-suite bath.

Another time I wanted a one piece shower/tub in a bath. No way was it going to fit through a doorway. There was a tall narrow window in the bath next to the tub/shower area. The window was not energy efficient and caused the bathroom to be sometimes cold. So I ripped open the exterior wall - brought through the tub/shower - closed up the wall installing a new better window.

My point is look for opportunities to make a bigger opening and improve something else while at it.
Haha, good point, thanks for the advice, ive been thinking about doing a pocket door, do you like it for the bathroom?
mikeylikesit580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 12:44 AM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,794
Rewards Points: 1,000
Default

Shower Recommendations?


Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeylikesit580
Haha, good point, thanks for the advice, ive been thinking about doing a pocket door, do you like it for the bathroom?
Pocket door is fine. Suggest to use a Johnson frame kit - metal rather than wood. Looks a little intimidating to install but once I got into the installation it was very straight forward.

Advertisement

__________________
____________
Vince
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Shower Pan Liner in Tampa - Shower rebuild ghowmedic Building & Construction 10 12-30-2011 09:03 PM
Shower Pan Recommendations Craig2010 Kitchen & Bath Remodeling 6 10-22-2010 07:03 AM
Problem with shower pan and drain ohiogirl1965 Plumbing 1 06-07-2010 07:33 AM
Bathroom shower surround StevePax General DIY Discussions 0 11-12-2009 01:31 PM
Tile Baseboard on outside of plastic shower pan at linoleum joint? GaryS Tiling, ceramics, marble 2 07-26-2009 01:39 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts