Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-06-2013, 09:47 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Shower Pans... Want strong, durable, and price right.

This is my first time going through a remodel and I want to know what I'm talking about to my contractor when we see him later. I want to make sure their doing it correctly and not taking short cuts.

I've been researching for the right product for remodeling our bathroom from tub to shower.

I went to Lowe's and looked at their shower pans that does not need tiling, which I'm thinking maybe the way to go. But after time goes by, how well will the pan hold up? I don't want to feel like I'm going to crack the pan and fall through like the old bathtub in my grandmother's house.

I was also thinking about Tile Redi pan. I've read on here that Tile Redi isn't a very good product. The installation is a pain in the ass as with the mortar isn't attaching to the pan.

The Schluter Kerdi system seems a better way, but don't you have to use a UnModified mortor and can you purchase that at my local hardware store? Once I start tiling, do I have to use a special thin-set? If I order a larger preformed then what my actual space is, can I cut the form to make it fit?

Is there anyother product out there that is also as good and stands behind their product?

I want the right product for my money and that I don't have to buy "special adhevise" only from their company.

Thank you for anyone who can help a Newbie out!
JustMissPeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 07:28 AM   #2

To me your post is confusing.
One place your talking about using a one piece pan and not tiling it, at the end of the post your talking about what to use to tile it.
Which way are you going to do it? Tile, or not for the pan?
No matter which one piece pan is installed if the installer does not follow the directions to install it exactly it's going to fail.
Some of the better built pans are self supporting so there's no mortar needed under the pan.
Old 07-07-2013, 12:02 PM   #3

Yes I am talking about two different pans. Yes one is to tile and the other is no tilling needed.

I wanted to know which WAY is the better way, as in product and durability.

Someone out there has installed these products and I thought someone could give me some insight to which way to go. I just want a good product for my money.

If you read any instructions you shouldn't have any problems, that's just knowledge.

Thanks anyways for your comment even though I confused you.
JustMissPeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 01:11 PM   #4

I hope the contractor can read between the lines and run fast and far.
Once some homeowner wants to get involved and micro manage the contractors work, comes here for this simple advice to explain to the contractor what they want .... this can never go good.

Why not talk to the contractor, look at some photos of his previous work, listen to his suggestions and recommendations, then come back and ask us if we agree with him?
Old 07-07-2013, 05:29 PM   #5
DIY staff

I use cast onyx bases when I need a premade base--

I build my own pan when I do a tiled floor--which is the most frequently desired shower now a days---Either a pan with liner or a Hydroban pan using a surface membrane.

Schluter makes preformed pans that use a surface membrane---

No 'Tile Ready' brand pans---they are a failure---

If you are using a contractor, listen to what they know how to do---you might not like the results if they are doing something for the first time---Mike-----
Old 07-07-2013, 10:17 PM   #6

I'm always pissed that you can't buy a cast iron base for about $200.

I've built the traditional pan and also the single slope variety with a laticrete drain.

The curb with the traditional pan is a pain in the ass.

I guess my favorite is a curbless on concrete.
cleveman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cleveman For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (07-08-2013)
Old 07-10-2013, 06:37 PM   #7

maybe build one yourself? I did, Its not to hard to do.
Attached Thumbnails
Shower Pans... Want strong, durable, and price right.-showerpan3-001.jpg   Shower Pans... Want strong, durable, and price right.-vvvvvvvvvvvvvvv-003.jpg  

Last edited by Ralph Coolong; 07-10-2013 at 06:39 PM.
Ralph Coolong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:17 PM   #8
DIY staff

If you choose to build your own pan,look at this link--How to build a shower - Building a shower pan with pre-sloped mortar bed, liner and curb.
Old 07-26-2013, 07:30 PM   #9

I'm looking for some info on this topic as well. I'm going with a tiled floor. I was told to avoid using a mortar bed. Water can break down the mortar bed and will sand away at the liner, eventually leading to a water leak. With that said. I'd like to use a membrane under the tile. Is it ok to put some kind of membrane over the mortar bed? Either roll on(redgard) or fabric(kerdi)? I'd like to keep costs down also.
intense98rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 08:21 PM   #10
JOATMON

In went through the same decision process recently.

What I learned was that a lot depends on where you live.....one of the reasons it helps to put your location in your profile.

If you don't care if the shower pan is tiled....prefab base.

If you want tiles...
If your on the West coast....hot mop....
Anywhere else (especially with freezing temps), membrane or Kerdi...

Regarding the Kerdi....a typical shower is going to cost you at least $500 just in materials. A lot of people rave about Kerdi...but my concern is that it does not have the 'history' other methods do. Of course, one has to install and use it for a few years to find out. I personally don't want to be the test person.

I live in CA....so I went Hot Mop....I got 2 very large and odd sized showers done for $500. Kerdi couldn't even touch that price.

My
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
schluter systems, shower pans, tile redi