Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-14-2008, 04:30 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

shower pan slope

I've done tile before but never a shower pan. I've read a lot (and think I understand!) but one thing is bothering me. I know the minimum slope is 1/4" /ft. However, I've seen several suggestions including a professional video that slope the pre-pan and then slope the pan, also. Doesn't that give you 1/2"/ft? That seems a little much. Wouldn't that be really noticeable when you're standing on it?

2picky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 07:26 PM   #2
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

shower pan slope

are you on a concrete slab?? to start off with?

buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 10:29 PM   #3

shower pan slope

Yes you should always slope the pre-pan then install the shower pan membrane. The reinforced mortar bed should follow the slope created by the pre-pan. The thickness of the mortar bed should be fairly consistent. (see the first pic below)
If you don't slope under the membrane then water in the bed will not drain properly and the mortar bed will eventually fail.
The tile in the pics is good old DAL Mayan White. I cut the tiles for the floor using a design that I found online by Googling "tessellations". I increased the groutline width on the floor and used sanded epoxy grout to make it less slippery. The radial design lays down better around the drain and adds interest.
Attached Thumbnails
shower pan slope-mortarbed-2.jpg   shower pan slope-tile-shower-floor-layout.jpg   shower pan slope-tile-shower-final-floor3.jpg  
crawdoogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 04:05 PM   #4

shower pan slope

This is an upstairs bath on 3/4" underlayment. I thought it would be easy to use plastic screed rail kits from a local tile store but realized they would slope the pre-pan and then add more slope to the pan. I'll just cut my own screed boards and pull them out as I finish each section. I'm more interested in making it perfect than getting done quickly.
2picky is offline   Reply With Quote