Should This Wall Be Knocked Out Or Closed Up?? - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-20-2013, 11:07 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Should this wall be knocked out or closed up??

Howdy,

I am doing some work on a house where the previous owner did some DIY "improvements" They decided to cut a big opening from the living room into the den, I understand the idea, more light, open feel. But it is done in an odd location and size, they screwed up the dry wall bullnose so I will need to remove it anyway.

I was thinking about removing the rest of the lower wall and have a larger space. The problem with that is the Den already has a window on one wall and open entries on two other walls, with one more open wall I think the room will loose its purpose.

Or should I just close up the space as it was originally.

I would appreciate any advice,
Attached Thumbnails
Should this wall be knocked out or closed up??-window.jpg  

Advertisement

Strife_Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 07:48 AM   #2
MarginallyQualified

Rewards Points: 2,308

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strife_Design View Post
I was thinking about removing the rest of the lower wall and have a larger space...
Look for the wiring and duct fittings that kept the last owner from doing that. Otherwise... properly support the ceiling load with beam/post and open it up altogether.

Advertisement

TarheelTerp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:09 AM   #3
Bill Kearney

Rewards Points: 1,126

Another possibility might be to combine the door and the opening into a new set of glass french doors. Perhaps with obscured (aka frosted) glass. This would continue to allow light through to the inner space but still allow for the room to have an enclosed feel. There's also the notion of using a high 'clerestory' window but that might seem a bit much for this space.

That way you wouldn't lose* the room's feel of being a separate space.

* I hate the misspelling of lose as loose.
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:13 AM   #4
Bill Kearney

Rewards Points: 1,126

But in looking at the pictures a bit more, do I correctly note this room has those two entries with columns on each side? It's sort of a pass-through space?

It would probably help if post posted a floorplan of the space. There might be other ways to configure the layout that could work better for all of the rooms, not just these two.
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:11 AM   #5
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,508

Get rid of those old 60/70's posts and knock out those half walls. As for that pass through, you could open it, but I would be finding out which way the rafters are going first. Can you draw in some lines on the pic which way the rafters are going across the house, and a floor plan of the whole floor also.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote