DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

should I chisel door hinges deeper to accomodate primer/paint?

3K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Ron6519 
#1 ·
Just finished chiselling the 3 hinges for my new front door, and they came out extremely perfect if I do say so myself :yes:

The problem I just foresaw is that, once I remove the hinges/door hardware, prime it, 2 coats of paint, all of a sudden my hinges won't fit anymore... Am I overanalyzing this? <just paranoid I'm gonna mess it up, the slab was over $100 and I just really don't want to ruin it!>

#3 ·
I thought I had to make sure I covered all of the wood with paint/primer to ensure minimal moisture intake/swelling/receding? If the hinges will do the job just as well then that's just awesome, because I can't even explain how long it took me to chisel those 3 hinge recesses (I was determined to do them perfectly, and it took a loooong time lol, as it was my 2nd time chiselling wood ever).

#5 ·
not thick at all - but as I said, I was hyper-anal :)thumbsup: ) doing my chiselling work, so they're 100% flush. You almost need to squeeze the hinges into place, so if there were paint they prolly wouldn't go in and I'd need to sand off the paint. Basically if I was going to need to paint those, I'd chisel off a slight bit more to accomodate.

#7 ·
I was *never* that way. After spending an obscene amount of hours on this site's sister contractor site, I got into a strong mindset of doing everything 100%. If I ever feel I'm taking a shortcut, I feel it's automatically wrong lol! But yeah, I try to treat every project I do as if it was going to be scrutinized by professionals. I'm doing sooo many projects on my house, I guess that if I didn't do it with that mindset, when I was done, I'd be paranoid that there were little details that were wrong everywhere :censored:

#8 ·
I can see the point of "Sealing" every surface area of a door to avoid some swelling. We advise Home owners about that all the time, when they want to ..... "do the paint work themselves".

You could: Spray some primer sealer over the hinge mortise areas prior to painting the rest of the door. Spraying a coat will not be as thick as applying primer and top-coat paint with a brush....

BTW- Coats of paint will definitely affect the way a door operates if the areas of conern are "tight" to begin with, prior to applying primer and paint....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.