Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-30-2010, 09:02 AM   #1

Share |
Question

Should I block one of th two windows in my bedroom?

There are two windows, one's facing east and one's facing south. I want to block the south window to build floating bookshelves. Does it affect the value of the house if we block a window in the bedroom?

SaveNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 11:44 AM   #2
Stuck in the 70's

Quote:
Does it affect the value of the house if we block a window in the bedroom?
Windows are good things. I don't know if it would hurt your value, but I don't see it helping.

A lot depends on what you mean by "block". If you mean patching the wall inside and out so there is no indication there was ever a window there, well, it is possible it may not hurt you too much. Unfortunately this is rarely the case. Even if the repair is perfect, a house will often look unbalanced from the outside.

On the other hand if it is obvious there is/was a window there, yeah. I don't see it being good.

Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 01:14 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondesense View Post
Windows are good things. I don't know if it would hurt your value, but I don't see it helping.

A lot depends on what you mean by "block". If you mean patching the wall inside and out so there is no indication there was ever a window there, well, it is possible it may not hurt you too much. Unfortunately this is rarely the case. Even if the repair is perfect, a house will often look unbalanced from the outside.

On the other hand if it is obvious there is/was a window there, yeah. I don't see it being good.
Thank you for pointing out the negative side of it. Does it look weird just to patch inside and leave outside as it is?
Old 10-01-2010, 08:36 AM   #4
Stuck in the 70's

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaveNow View Post
Does it look weird just to patch inside and leave outside as it is?
I have heard of people painting the glass from inside and doing this. I think a lot depends on the location of the window. You would be more likely to get away with it if it is on the side of the home or hidden behind trees etc., rather than the front or back of the house.

Lastly, I have no idea about the construction side of this; how to insulate, if condensation/moisture buildup etc. would be an issue. Maybe someone with a construction background will post.

Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 08:51 AM   #5
Chicago, IL

1) If you open windows for ventilation instead of using AC, you will lose the cross ventilation.

2 Will the remaining window meet the requirements for emergency egress, which include (in addition to other requirements):

Home Inspections, Infrared (Thermal Imaging) Leak Identification and Inspection Services, Roof, Attic, Building, Basement and Foundation Moisture Intrusion and Water Leak Inspections, Troubled Building Consultations - Serving Chicago and Suburbs http://paragoninspects.com/
Michael Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 11:30 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondesense View Post
I have heard of people painting the glass from inside and doing this. I think a lot depends on the location of the window. You would be more likely to get away with it if it is on the side of the home or hidden behind trees etc., rather than the front or back of the house.

Lastly, I have no idea about the construction side of this; how to insulate, if condensation/moisture buildup etc. would be an issue. Maybe someone with a construction background will post.

The house was built with bricks outside and drywalls on the inside. The window is on the back side of the home and blocking by a carport with wood fence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Thomas View Post
1) If you open windows for ventilation instead of using AC, you will lose the cross ventilation.

2 Will the remaining window meet the requirements for emergency egress, which include (in addition to other requirements):

There are two identical windows (52x35")

Here's a quick drawing of the house

Last edited by SaveNow; 10-01-2010 at 11:36 AM.