Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-03-2008, 04:49 PM   #1

Share |

Sheetrock repair

I am remodeling my 1st flr powder room. My mother (bless her) installed contact paper on two of the walls (the other walls are just painted). My brother and I took it down, and as you'd guess, the painted layer and I don't know how many layers of paper came with it. It was suggested that we lay 1/4" sheetrock over the existing drywall instead of replacing the existing drywall. My question: is it better to laminate the existing walls, or would it be better to tear them out?

girlfixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 04:27 PM   #2
Drywall contractor

Sheetrock repair

If there are no issues as far as the wall thickness affecting door or window trim (needing to extend your jambs) I would add the layer of 1/4". (I like to refer to it as "industrial strength wallpaper"....) Much less mess than a tear out.Be sure to use 1-5/8" screws to get enough length to fasten properly. It wouldn't hurt to use adhesive also. My mom had a clothes dryer that must have been 25+ yrs. old and the finish was chipping off, so she put some leftover woodgrain contact paper on it and kept on using it. Dad finally replaced it after she passed. The contact paper held up, though!

Old 12-04-2008, 06:05 PM   #3

Sheetrock repair

I agree that if you don't have trim issues to just rock over it, in the last two weeks I have skinned over walls and ceilings in 3 rooms with 50 sheets of 1/4" drywall and it turned out nice, I rip my own trim and jam boards so that wasn't an issue for me. I haven't got to my bathroom yet but when I do I may consider tile board, at $15 a sheet it would be a wash with drywall when you include tape, mud, sealer, and paint.
hychesee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 06:48 PM   #4
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Sheetrock repair

If the walls are not going to be able to be brought down to their original surface, then it is easier to overlay the wall with 1/4" sheetrock. You would use 1-5/8" drywall screws for this.

Example: I was at a job location today, where we did this on one of the walls, during a previous project on the home.
It was a 3' area of wall, floor to ceiling.
The wall section had a mirror glues to it. The Home Owner had removed the mirrior, and the area was a mess.
I opted to overlay the area, as to attempt to patch and skim coat it, would have been much more laborious.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 01:49 PM   #5

Sheetrock repair

To all who replied, thank you very much! You really helped to make this less of a pain. But I have a second question: The two wall affected by the contact are on opposite sides of the room and abut walls that are ok. Naturally, the two walls create corners (one outside, two inside on one wall, and two inside corners on the other side). How do I finish the corners? Do I just tape and mud, or do I have to use corner strips? Thanks again for your your help.

Last edited by girlfixer; 12-08-2008 at 02:01 PM.
girlfixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 02:10 PM   #6

Sheetrock repair

on outside corners you use metal or plastic corner bead and just use tape for the inside corners.

ponch37300 is offline   Reply With Quote