Sheetrock And Insulation Question - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-18-2010, 10:52 PM   #1
Destroyer Of Keyboards

Rewards Points: 10
Send a message via MSN to kn1564 Send a message via Skype™ to kn1564
Talking

Sheetrock And Insulation Question

I am in the process of replacing all the old sheetrock in my house. The house is old, the sheetrock has been "Patched" a lot more than I realize. I have come to this conclusion based on all the picture holes that are reamed out and having to fill them all, and 2 out of 5 times when I go to put up a picture for my wife as we unpack I happen to hit a good old fashioned pad of news paper with plaster over it then sanded. I actually pulled one out today that is dated May of 1961. I figure if I am going to do this now is the time before we get everything unpacked and arranged the way we want it. And if the rock is gonna come down, now is the time to go ahead and replace the insulation. start it off right. This has just moved to the front of the line. the first thing was going to be to replace all the asbestos siding that is on the outside but now that will wait.

I have read a lot online in the past couple days and all the different forms of insulation and alternatives to sheetrock. My question is this, I have around 6000 square foot of exterior wall and ceiling all built on 2x4 studs, and the ceilings are all vaulted. I figure that this gives me around R15 maybe R16 with rolled insulation since everything I find is R15 based on 3.5" studs and I have full 4". I want to get the absolute best insulation I can squeeze into this 4" space and R16 isn't it if you know what I mean.

I see spray foams, I see styrofoam, I see aluminum reflective stuff, I see full wall panels you use in place of sheetrock. I don't know enough to understand the difference. If there is a combination that will just knock me into next weeks for insulation and still provide a home look and not commercial please shoot it my way. Also include in the combination exterior stuff also because as I said next is the siding outside and if I can put something up before the new siding that will add to the protection factor I will do it. All that being said, I am not looking for the best regardless of price, I am looking for the best balance between cost and protection.

I appreciate you suggestions in advance and thank you for taking the time to read this.

-Ken

Advertisement

kn1564 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 11:03 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

I've used R15 fiberglass in my 2x4 walls
New 2x6 walls I use R19
Spray foam will give you the most Rvalue I think

What is the electric like ?
With the walls open that is the time to do electric

Advertisement

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 11:33 PM   #3
Destroyer Of Keyboards

Rewards Points: 10
Send a message via MSN to kn1564 Send a message via Skype™ to kn1564

Electric was also on the list, as well as all in wall plumbing. while i was doing this stuff. My wife is just sitting here rolling her eyes saying 1 project turns into let's rebuild the house we just bought.

as far as the R15 I know it works I am just wanting to make sure that there maybe isn't a better option.

What part of the Boston area are you from, I actually spent 10 of my youthful and trouble causing years in Haverhill.
kn1564 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 11:43 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,032

You will learn that fiberglass batt insulation is a poor choice just looking at R-value: http://www.explainthatstuff.com/heatinsulation.html http://www.energysavers.gov/your_hom.../mytopic=11620
http://www.buildinggreen.com/auth/ar...&printable=yes

It also does nothing to stop air leaks around wiring, plumbing, etc. – you need to seal these as you find them, as well as additional steps: http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...wall-approach/

For your location of 714 zip, R-13 is recommended in the stud wall, remember that is the rock-bottom minimum: http://www.ornl.gov/cgi-bin/cgiwrap?...le/ins_fact.pl

I would drywall over it, just for the fire safety concern: http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/pdf2003/crame03a.pdf

Be safe, Gary
Old 04-23-2010, 12:24 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 500

If you plan to re-side your house, then putting 1" of rigid foam under the siding is your best option. If not, I'd consider spray foam maybe with rigid foam on the inside to prevent thermal conduction thru the studs
mrgins is offline   Reply With Quote