DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

shed remodel

4K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  hand drive 
#1 ·
okay starting to get info on fixing up my shed, its 24x14 foot. going to close off the back 8 foot, the side in the picture.

what i am tring to figure out is the best way to dry wall the interior of the shed when i move the walls.

some pictures of the roof from the inside

See less See more
#2 ·
you'll need 14' ceiling joists wall plate to wall plate that connect to the counter-opposing rafters at either side of the room and that also double up at both ends where the rafters change direction from the hip roof, and then use joist hangers off of the double joist to do the end joists..

#4 · (Edited)
1/4 is never used for walls or ceilings when there's nothing behind it but studs.
You could just lean on it and break it.
Only time 5/8 is normaly used on walls is when the building is attached to the house to meet fire codes.
For the ceiling 5/8 or light weight 1/2 will work. For the walls you only need 1/2"
If you can borrow a drywall lift to do the ceilings, do it. Makes it 100 times easyer.
Make sure there's 2 X 4 nailers in all inside corners to attach the sheetrock to.
When ever possible use 12' long drywall. Less seams to finish.
Use 1-1/4 course screws not nails.
Do the ceiling first,
When doing the walls install them horizontal and start at the top tight to the ceiling.
When installing the bottom piece make sure it ends up 1/2" up off the floor.

Reactions: mae-ling
#7 ·
didn't miss read it. seeing as i knew to expect the 1/2nch. ceiling hight will be just under 7'6", might be cheaper and quicker for me to find a friend to help lift the pices. looks like if i use 12 foot lenghts it will just take 7. And anothr 14 for the walls, though lots of cutting.

#9 ·
okay i am pulling this thread from the grave, signed the papers for the house yesterday so i can now start work.....

so i would like some ideas for layout of my new work shop. mostly small electronics and wood working.

here is a pic of the curent lay out.

the long window along the back wall will be removed and a through wall ac will be put in in that area.

the wall in the north west corner will be removed as well. so other then that i have no clear plans.

#12 ·
Okay pic may not be the best. But I have been thinking about this and I was wondering if I can just remove the 2x4's that are going from top plate to top plate the 14 length since the are spaced about 3 foot apart and just sister the joists and add a cross brace a foot from the crown/peak not sure on the correct term. Like the cut section of ply wood already there

Attachments

#13 ·
if you are talking about 2x4 as shown in the middle photo then those are rafter ties. the purpose is to keep the tops of the load bearing walls from being pushed out by rafter trust. a typical roof would be required to have either rafter ties (ceiling joists are a type of rafter tie) or have a structural ridge beam. Rafter ties are typically found in the lower 1/3 of the distance from the top of the wall to the ridge.

Collar ties are typically located in the upper 1/3 of the distance from the top of the wall to the ridge. Their purpose is to resist uplift at the ridge, they will not prevent rafter thrust.

I would not remove these rafter ties. Hope this helps!

Good luck! :thumbsup:

#14 ·
As GBrackins mentions, do not remove the 14' ties. in fact I'd recommend using those as the base pattern to add more of them all the way across and use that as your flat ceiling, except plan to use 2x6 for that 14' distance. if you establish where and how to make the ceiling the walls below are easily figured out later...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.