Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-15-2007, 08:59 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Unhappy

Sheared head on Tapcon screw - how to remove?

While installing a Tapcon screw into a concrete floor, I managed to shear the head off the screw before it got all the way in. I need to get it out and try again. I have tried to drill the screw for an extraction, but I have not gotten very far. Also tried the vise grips, sawing a groove and trying a standard screwdriver, nothing has worked. My creativity is tapped out...

Anyone have any ideas on how I can get this screw out? Is there any type of penetrating lubricant that may make this any easier? Special drill bit to use to completely drill out the screw? I have about 1/4 to 3/8" protruding from the floor.

Thanks,
Mark

mkuether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 09:48 PM   #2
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

Leave it in place. Take a reciprocating saw with a metal-cutting blade and cut it off at the base of the screw. If there is still a "nub"left...smash it flat with a hammer, and then continue on with your project....

AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 11:04 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlanticWBConst. View Post
Leave it in place. Take a reciprocating saw with a metal-cutting blade and cut it off at the base of the screw. If there is still a "nub"left...smash it flat with a hammer, and then continue on with your project....
I would do that, but I need a fastener in that spot for this project. Removal is somewhat necessary...
Old 12-15-2007, 11:06 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

May need to try a carbide bit.
redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 09:19 AM   #5
Eibwen

Rewards Points: 500

Trying to drill it out would be tough since they are pretty hard.

If you have 3/8" sticking up you may be able to get a pipe wrench on it which will bite better as it tightens. Or maybe a broken stud extractor if you have one.

If that wont work maybe drill a hole in the concrete next to it to relieve some of the pressure and give it some movement. Then once you get it out, oversize your hole and use a fixed sleeve anchor or a lead lag.
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 11:29 AM   #6
Woodworker and Contractor

Rewards Points: 150

Hitting it with a hammer may break the teeth loose so you can get it to back out, other wise you realy may have to leave it and drill beside it. Also always drill the holes 1/2" deeper then the screw to have room for the dust the screw pushes down as it goes in the hole.
Kingfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 08:02 AM   #7

FYI - I ended up solving my problem by drilling into and tapping the existing Tapcon using a carbide bit. Thanks for all your advice. Next time I will be more patient in drilling a hole for the screw to avoid this problem in the first place...
Old 01-01-2008, 10:40 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 250

I use maybe 100 - 150 Tapcons a year and most end up in places that are noticeable.

Years back, I purchased and tried using the Tapcon drill/drive kit but gave up. I no longer try to drive Tapcon screws into concrete as they tend to snap off or simply strip out. Rather, after drilling the correct size hole 1/4" deeper than necessary, I use a pinpoint blast of compressed air to blow the drill dust out of the hole and a 1/4" drive ratchet and socket (or drive bit) to gradually tighten the Tapcon screws down. No heating up from friction, no stripouts, no snapoffs, no problems. Takes me longer for sure but the Tapcons move along in the hole much easier, tighten up properly, hold much better over time and the results are much neater.

Obviously, if you use lots of Tapcons everyday and they're eventually hidden or covered over or in areas that are not aesthetic, my method simply isn't cost-effective.
End Grain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to End Grain For This Useful Post:
Clutchcargo (06-12-2011)
Old 01-01-2008, 07:45 PM   #9
nap
You talking to me?

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by End Grain View Post
Obviously, if you use lots of Tapcons everyday and they're eventually hidden or covered over or in areas that are not aesthetic, my method simply isn't cost-effective.
It could be if you condsider the time it takes to put a second, or third tapcon in and the costs of the additional tapcons.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 09:18 PM   #10
Rebuilding Together - SL

Unhappy

I googled "Tapcon removal" and found this thread helpful. I've broken a few tapcons lately in sidewalk and step cement where I really need to put an anchors in thea same spots. I called a tapcon rep and in the conversation he advised me not to use a ratchet for installation as that would be the best way to snap them off. Actually, when I worked slowly with a ratchet and didn't use too much pressure, I had my best results. Then one day I used a high torque, slow speed drill and got fairly good results. So I thought I had my answer. That was a short lived fool's paradise. Snap. Snap. The rep advised me to get the tapcon installation tool to put in my drill and I'm going shopping to check it one in a day or two. He told me that tool would make it almost imossible to snap one off. I reading otherwise in this thread.
Meanwhile, back to my real question . . . if a carbide drill bit will cut into the tapcon, what do I use to then back it out? And what size bit was used to begin with. There doesn't seem to be much space in the shaft of a 1/4 or 5/16 inch tapcon.
I just picked up a set of Craftsman "Bolt-Out"s with the hope that if I chipped out the concrete around the top of the "stud" I could get a bite on it. Another thought that I've not yet tried is to heat the tapcon with the hope that if it expands it'll push the concrete around it and then when it cools, will be looser and easier to extract.
I'm looking for some feedback on those ideas.
By way of background, I'm a volunteer who repairs exterior stair rails for low income home owners and see a lot of misinstalled post bases. And, yes, I've contributed by share to that problem. That's why I'd like to learn how to repair these properly. My intention is to enlarge the hole enough to put in lead shields and lag screws.

an aspiring handyman,

Al

melkisadek is offline   Reply With Quote