Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-24-2008, 08:52 PM   #1

Share |

Sealing garden window properly

Here is a picture of a garden window:

I don't have the same siding. I have a flat t1-11 siding. The trim will be 1x4 cedar. What is the best way to seal this type of window. I was just going to caulk under the the trim and caulk the siding to trim and trim to window. Previously, it had weather stripping between the window and trim. I noticed that the weather stripping was caulked as well. The weather stripping was brittle, so I would have to buy new weather stripping if that is the best way to seal the window.
bluefitness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 10:03 PM   #2

The window needs to be flashed on all four sides. Caulking is never the solution for long term window installs by anybody who's vaguely informed.
You use metal flashing, adhesive membranes and the like. Hometime this week gave a good primer on window installs with both products.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 03:22 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
The window needs to be flashed on all four sides. Caulking is never the solution for long term window installs by anybody who's vaguely informed.
You use metal flashing, adhesive membranes and the like. Hometime this week gave a good primer on window installs with both products.
Ron
It already has flashing around it.
Old 12-01-2008, 03:30 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefitness View Post
It already has flashing around it.
Are you talking about a nailing flange? Windows don't generally have flashing attached to them because you need to nail them to the sheathing, which would put holes through that item that needs to be unholey.
It would help if you could post a picture or a link to the web that has a picture of the window.
Didn't the window come with installation instructions?
Ron
Old 12-01-2008, 04:24 PM   #5

Quote:
Are you talking about a nailing flange? Windows don't generally have flashing attached to them because you need to nail them to the sheathing, which would put holes through that item that needs to be unholey.
It would help if you could post a picture or a link to the web that has a picture of the window.
Didn't the window come with installation instructions?
Ron

Yes, it is the nailing flange. I just have never seen it flashed. There is no sheathing under the siding. It is just T1-11 siding nailed directly to the studs. I placed ice and water under the nailing flange and ran water vapor over that. If water gets behind the trim/siding, it will, hopefully, run in between the siding and vapor barrier. I just need to seal the window so water doesn't get behind the trim and/or siding.
Old 12-01-2008, 05:36 PM   #6

Quote:
Yes, it is the nailing flange. I just have never seen it flashed. There is no sheathing under the siding. It is just T1-11 siding nailed directly to the studs. I placed ice and water under the nailing flange and ran water vapor over that. If water gets behind the trim/siding, it will, hopefully, run in between the siding and vapor barrier. I just need to seal the window so water doesn't get behind the trim and/or siding.
This is not the way to install a window. The window goes under the siding, not on top, no matter what the construction detail is.
I do not know of any way to seal this window, the way it's installed.
Ron
Old 12-01-2008, 09:26 PM   #7

Quote:
This is not the way to install a window. The window goes under the siding, not on top, no matter what the construction detail is.
I do not know of any way to seal this window, the way it's installed.
Ron
The window is installed under the siding. There is no sheathing because it is T1-11 siding. The layers are:

wall studs
ice and water
vapor barrier
nailing flange (window)
siding
Trim
Old 12-01-2008, 10:10 PM   #8
fhi vinyl windows

Quote:
The window is installed under the siding. There is no sheathing because it is T1-11 siding. The layers are:

wall studs
ice and water
vapor barrier
nailing flange (window)
siding
Trim
I would suggest:

1. Take a router and flatten out your t1-11, take off about 1/8" (2"-3" all around the opening).

2. Use Pella window flashing tape (Lowes) from where your flattened out the t1-11 over to the window (make sure you have a good bond with the window).

3. If you can trim the outside with Azek instead of Cedar do so.

4. Use a good poly caulking and caulk between the window and your trim and around the edges of the trim.

5. Get a can of BLUE Great stuff and foam the rough opening making sure that the foam is able to expand out to the window flashing tape. <---just don't let it bow the tape!

6. Check the caulking twice a year.

7. Install vinyl siding over your existing siding when you get some extra money.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

fhivinylwindows is offline   Reply With Quote