screwed a few screws into a stucco ceiling..how screwed am I?
geez worrying about VAT tile I came across the fact that
stucco (not just popcorn) ceilings may contain asbestos....I have
screwed about 5 screws with a power drill (home owner kind)
into the ceiling and through some of this stuff (which is on the ceiling on
a patch that was coming down..so i screwed it to reinforce...no mask)
it was put up in the 1990s...I thought it was just plaster of paris....
I'm so upset and angry that this carcinogen
was put in everything...and I can't imagine how workers
in this industry could be treated so despicably for so long
with so much info available to the powers that be.... (end
of rant sorry)
there was dust and I'm JUST now cleaning up the last of it from
plastic sheeting on the floor.
also boxes and furniture were in the room...under plastic sheeting...
the thin kind for draping not the 3 mil for the floor
is it time to call a professional or can I just wipe things down...
I really don't know what to do and cost is a problem...
haven't tested because that stuff is like solid glass and can't
imagine wetting it thoroughly to prevent dust....thought about wetting down and scooping up what is left on the floor plastic but some
other work was done at a window that caused a lot of debris
so I guess only helpful if positive...
any thoughts appreciated....
(I feel like a time bomb)
Extremely unlikely that there is asbestos in there--by 1990 asbestos was not used in homes--
forgot to state that first stucco was 1986....would
4 years make a difference:(
No. Get it tested if you're really worried, but there's very little reason to be alarmed. Contrary to popular belief, a little asbestos in something does not *bingo* suddenly mean you have cancer.
My brother now says what he used in the 90s was a
is that a greater asbestos risk..
can't find anything on google...:(
is it still safe to self-test this if it is pre-mixed stucco??
Im going to be honest with you -
You have been exposed to more carcinogens (ALL things lead, car exhaust, gasoline, diesel, leaded solder, smoke, etc) and even asbestos then you will ever know - That little bit wont hurt you (Though I HIGHLY doubt it contains asbestos - as Mike said, by the 90s nothing used it). Ever been in an old building in a big city? Most of them contained asbestos and it STILL hasnt been removed because if left alone and undisturbed it doesnt go airborne or pose a hazard.
As for your 5 holes? In all honesty there are more carcinogens in a pack of lead fishing weights then in the dust you created. Even gypsum board (drywall) dust contains carcinogens (california prop 65). This link is about DRYWALL
Youre fine, but if you really are that worried, get it tested and rest easy. :thumbsup:
I really appreciate the responses it helps put things
in perspective....particualrly when it comes to the initial
I guess what makes me most concerned is that
I tracked possible asbestos through the house on clothes
, didn't clean up the debris fast enuf..more tracking on shoes,
have clothes and books and kitchen stuff in boxes and
under thin plastic right under the stuff and open to contamination
and that I didn't rinse clothes out but chucked them in the washer and dryer...and later found out my dad had actually knocked some pieces off the ceiling(along with the dust from the screws) which I hadn't noticed...
more dust and possible asbestos..
I'm actually most concerned that I've contaminated my stuff
my home and my poor parents...and I was so ignorant...and it
was so avoidable...
|All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:29 AM.|
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.