Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-30-2007, 09:26 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Sanding Cultured Marble Countertop?

We're in the process of remodeling our bathroom. Everything was going swimmingly until we went to install the new countertop. Apparently when we measured we were off by 1/4 inch. Now the countertop is too long to fit into our small wall-to-wall space. We called the place we purchased the countertop from and they suggested that we take a belt sander to one end. They also suggested that first we put tape on the glossy finished side of the counter to reduce the risk of chipping the finish.

However, here's my question(s): What grit do we use for the sandpaper? Or is this even a good idea at all to attempt this in the first place? Has anyone here ever dealt with a cultured marble countertop that was too long for the space?

a2116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 10:08 PM   #2

Yes, you can sand cultured marble...I would use either 40 or 60 grit belt....If it is a lot of material to sand, you can cut it using a circular saw with a standard, carbide tipped, wood cutting blade. I have done it many times. I would use a new blade if you are going to cut it.....preferably a 40 tooth blade such as the Irwin Marathon or a Freud.

send_it_all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 04:39 AM   #3
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by a2116 View Post
We're in the process of remodeling our bathroom. Everything was going swimmingly until we went to install the new countertop. Apparently when we measured we were off by 1/4 inch. Now the countertop is too long to fit into our small wall-to-wall space. We called the place we purchased the countertop from and they suggested that we take a belt sander to one end. They also suggested that first we put tape on the glossy finished side of the counter to reduce the risk of chipping the finish.

However, here's my question(s): What grit do we use for the sandpaper? Or is this even a good idea at all to attempt this in the first place? Has anyone here ever dealt with a cultured marble countertop that was too long for the space?
If it's a sheetrock walled area, this would be a much easier solution: Measure the thickness out of the end of the countertop. Draw it's shape out on one end of the wall. Take a utility knife and cut the outline on the sheetrock. Peel off the paper in the middle of the outline. Scrape out 1/4" of gypsum. Install counter top into the area. Caulk that altered location and paint.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote