Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-28-2011, 08:43 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Safest way to gut a bathroom ?

I am looking for some tips on the best and safest way to gut my bathroom my home was built in the 20 s and most likely has lead paint its on a 2 nd floor were all 3 bedrooms are what would be the best way to keep the dust and contamination down and remove the debris our of the house ?

ants1929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 08:52 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,192

You are sure to have lead paint and probably plaster walls that may contain asbestos.

Proper attire and respiration equipment is in order as well as some kind of containment measures and spoiled air controlled management and evacuation maybe.

Or, you can just put on an approved respirator and start tearing things out.

You should be able to find recommendations specific to your area on your states website. Open their website and search for lead paint removal and asbestos abatement.

Old 07-28-2011, 08:57 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000

If you have an enamaled cast iron tub, you will likely break it up with a sledge hammer to remove it. The enamal can break into small flying flinters - eye protection is a must.
Old 07-29-2011, 06:41 AM   #4
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,462

A strong fan on the window---blowing out---helps create negative pressure--that will help keep dust out of the house.
Old 07-29-2011, 07:12 AM   #5
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Rewards Points: 2,012

You will almost surely have lead paint. Asbestos in plaster is not particularly common, although I have seen it. It's more likely in old flooring material. Tape some heavy plastic (6 mil polyethylene) across the outside of the door way. Tape top and sides. Cut a slit in it to get in and out. Tape a second sheet across the first as a flap door, taped top only. Close the bathroom door. Put a fan in the window to exhaust out. Now you have a negative pressure containment. That is your engineering control to protect the rest of the house. Wear coveralls, goggles and a respirator. No paper dust masks. Get a respirator rated "N95" with P100 filter cartridges. That will protect you. Get a good shop vac with HEPA rated filter and plenty of heavy duty trash bags. Leave the tub in place and working for a storage place and a water source, but remove everything else. Start at the ceiling and remove. bag up debris as it comes down. Put in tub until full. Wipe the outsides of the bags with a damp cloth and hand them out the slit plastic door. Make wife and kids cart them away. At the end of each session, dust pan and brush loose crumbs, then vac up. Wipe down any dust residue. Vac off coveralls before removing INSIDE of your containment. No eating or drinking inside of containment. Finally, remove tub and remaining plaster. behind it. As long as you wipe down everything before it leaves the contained area, you won't have a problem. That should keep all the nasty stuff under control and you safe.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Maintenance 6 For This Useful Post:
HomesteadHero (08-04-2011)
Old 07-31-2011, 12:10 AM   #6
Too Old

Rewards Points: 250

After reading this please wait until I get a law firm to understand what you are asking,.

Last edited by havalife; 07-31-2011 at 03:28 PM.
havalife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 07:56 AM   #7
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,274

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalife View Post
After reading this please wait until I get a law ferm to understand what you are asking,.
Too old and maybe up a little to late there havalife.
Old 07-31-2011, 11:19 AM   #8
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,192

"law ferm" ???
Old 10-30-2011, 01:52 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 152

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
If you have an enameled cast iron tub, you will likely break it up with a sledge hammer to remove it. The enamel can break into small flying splinters - eye protection is a must.
Flying shards...yes. When I broke up my cast iron tub...I was told to, and did, put a blanket over the tub...no flying shards that way...as you might imagine...it kills the banket...lol. Highly recommended. Those shards are razor sharp. You don't want them flying at you. Also using a blanket contains the cleanup to the area of the tub.

Ed911 is offline   Reply With Quote