Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-07-2012, 12:54 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Rigid foam sheathing over drywall

I am planning to convert an interior closet into a wine cellar.

I would like minimize the labor and expense by installing iso foam sheathing directly over the existing drywall.

I assume I can just nail or screw it through the drywall into the studs. This will also provide a vapor barrier to maintain humidity inside the cellar. I don't care what the inside looks like, having sheathing for the interior walls is fine.

The closet will form 5 sides of the cellar. For the sixth side that is now open i plan to install framing and an insulated door of some sort.
The temperature inside the cellar will be approx 60 degrees while the outside could be quite warm in the summer, will this cause a condensation problem for the drywall?

Does this sound feasible?

Last edited by oh'mike; 03-07-2012 at 07:24 PM. Reason: added spaces
jnbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 07:29 PM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 94

Yes and no---

Sure the foam will do what you want---use Styrofoam adhesive (caulking tubes)--
And enough screws to keep it in place until the adhesive sets up---

You will need to seal the edges with a silicon caulk as you install them--I also suggest considering a waerproof membrane like Hydroban by Latacrete--

Old 03-07-2012, 07:34 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 6

one other thing is that foam has to be covered with drywall on the inside to comply with codes.
framer52 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to framer52 For This Useful Post:
Tom Struble (03-07-2012)
Old 03-07-2012, 07:38 PM   #4
Jack of all - master none

Yes, the foam boards are combustible. You need to put something like drywall over that to protect them from burning.
hyunelan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 07:55 PM   #5

Thanks for feedback.
Now I understand why there is always drywall in wine cellars.
If the rigid foam is already a vapor barrier, why do I need a second one?
Is Hydroban similar to Red Guard?
jnbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 08:19 PM   #6
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 94

Hydroban is similar to Redguard,yes---Much more rubbery and the price reflects it--

Consider FRP board for a finished surface if looks is unimportant--(fiberglass reinforced plastic)--
Old 03-08-2012, 05:14 PM   #7

I'd pull the old drywall off and adhere the foam to the studs. Otherwise, depending on your basement, you may be trapping moisture on that side of the foam and leaving the old drywall paper to mold. Plus, if there's existing vapour barrier underneath, you'll be making a vapour barrier sandwich, which I believe (correct me if I'm wrong professionals) is always bad.
wilsonstark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 08:43 AM   #8
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Since you are cooling the inside of this space below ambiant air temperature, this is somewhat opposite of typical wall construction. You certainly never want the relative humidity inside the closet to exceed 55% @ 60 degrees. The materials outside of the thermal barrier will stay above dewpoint so condensation on the outside should never be a problem. You also are not dealing with a huge temperature delta inside to outside. Humidity control inside will be your biggest challenge. You'll want any vapor barrier to be on the outside of your thermal barrier. That will keep the moisture on the warm side and prevent any condensation on the outside and prevent any higher levels of humidity from penetrating to the cooler surfaces inside. Are you going to have some sort of environmental controls to regulate temperature/humidity? Don't forget that the floor is part of the envelope and needs to be treated the same as the walls/ceiling.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Maintenance 6 For This Useful Post:
wilsonstark (03-09-2012)
Old 03-09-2012, 02:04 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintenance 6 View Post
Since you are cooling the inside of this space below ambiant air temperature, this is somewhat opposite of typical wall construction. You certainly never want the relative humidity inside the closet to exceed 55% @ 60 degrees. The materials outside of the thermal barrier will stay above dewpoint so condensation on the outside should never be a problem. You also are not dealing with a huge temperature delta inside to outside. Humidity control inside will be your biggest challenge. You'll want any vapor barrier to be on the outside of your thermal barrier. That will keep the moisture on the warm side and prevent any condensation on the outside and prevent any higher levels of humidity from penetrating to the cooler surfaces inside. Are you going to have some sort of environmental controls to regulate temperature/humidity? Don't forget that the floor is part of the envelope and needs to be treated the same as the walls/ceiling.
interesting! That's good to know.

So that'd mean VB or bathroom paint on wall separating the closet from the rest of the basement, right? Or the foil side facing outwards towards the rest of the basement at least?

Last edited by wilsonstark; 03-09-2012 at 03:02 PM.
wilsonstark is offline   Reply With Quote