Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-07-2009, 12:38 AM   #1

Share |

Right Size Door for replacement?

Hello:

I have several Kolbe & Kolbe french doors that I would like to replace. I had a contractor (through Lowe's) come out and measure for Pella replacement doors. And, Lowe's is saying that I need to custom order the doors because of the size of the rough opening. Basically, Lowe's is saying that I need a 5' 1/2" W x 7' 11" H frame door for the 5' 1-1/4" W x 7' 11-1/2" H rough opening. Pella has "ready-made" door that is 4' 11-1/4" W x 7' 11-1/2" H for 5' x 8' rough opening.

My question is do I really need to order a custom door or a 1-1/4" narrower and 1/2" taller door not fit into the current rough opening? I don't know how exact the measurements need to be. But, since we don't know the exact rough opening dimensions, it seems to me there may be a chance the "ready-made" Pella door may fit. If I can go with a "standard" size door, that would be great. I have asked the Lowe's employee and I just don't have the confidence in anything he says! Thanks!

SJCJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 09:28 PM   #2

http://www.pellaadm.com/userdocs/doc...SF_DSSZTAB.pdf page #3 -- ?? From: http://web.pella.com/products/DoorSt.../Overview.aspx

Be safe, Gary

Old 12-08-2009, 02:30 PM   #3
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Before I would order a custom sized door, I'd remove the inside casing and measure the actual rough opening. Then I would avoid using a box store contractor just like avoiding the plague. There are just too many horror stories out there about shoddy work and botched jobs for me to ever say it's a good idea.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 11:34 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintenance 6 View Post
Before I would order a custom sized door, I'd remove the inside casing and measure the actual rough opening. Then I would avoid using a box store contractor just like avoiding the plague. There are just too many horror stories out there about shoddy work and botched jobs for me to ever say it's a good idea.
Thanks for the suggestion. I was hoping to avoid having to take the inside casing off in case we put off the project.
Old 12-08-2009, 11:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBR in WA View Post

Thanks for the links. The first site has a lot of good information.
Old 12-09-2009, 04:42 AM   #6
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintenance 6 View Post
Then I would avoid using a box store contractor just like avoiding the plague. There are just too many horror stories out there about shoddy work and botched jobs for me to ever say it's a good idea.
I am sure some of them are just hungry and do good work but I agree. Ask around, get somebody with references and that has done similar work for others in your hood, for friends, etc. I definitely agree you should not order custom doors without knowing the exact dimensions of the opening. I would take the casing off.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 07:43 AM   #7
MJW

Here's a little secret........The "contractors" from the box stores are just subs that can't get their own work.

Get a real contractor for the job if you want it done correctly.

MJW is offline   Reply With Quote