Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-22-2011, 10:03 AM   #1

Share |

Retrofitting pot lights finished first floor ceiling

In our living room, we recently scraped the stipple ceiling (the best we could) and had someone come in to mud and sand the ceiling in preparation for paint. I then primed and painted the ceiling.

I want to add some pot lights to the ceiling with 6 lights in a rectangular pattern (2 rows of 3). There are currently no ceiling fixtures, there is crown moulding, and there is 1 switch which switches a receptacle on/off (which we have a lamp plugged into).

The lights will run 3 in 2 rows with both rows running perpendicular to the joists.

1. Is the easiest way to run wire between them by cutting a 6" wide strip between the first and last in each row then wiring through joists and replacing strip, patching, sanding, painting?

2. Should I run my wire to the swich via the same joist "channel" that resides above the switch and hope to find top plate without having to remove crown moulding then drill through top plate and fish cable to switch?

NickWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 06:41 AM   #2

Someone that is really good at it, can run wiring for those thru the pot holes, without extra cutting. But getting from the ceiling to the wall usually needs access holes. If you insist on DIY, and don't know the secrets, your method works.

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 06:45 AM   #3

I am just not sure how to do it through the holes without using a flexi-bit. Each span will cross at least 2 joists. Ideally one could see the outside of both joists through the 2 holes but would still be unaware of what is in the channel between these 2 joists. Could drill like I said, with a flexi-bit but I really have no idea what runs through the roof (if anything) and where.
NickWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 03:51 PM   #4

Using a long 4' bit will get you through the joists to connect all the lights. It will also get you through the top plate at the switch location. The tricky part will be connecting the switch leg to the lights without opening the ceiling.
This would have been a lot easier if you ran the electric first, then finished the ceiling.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 09:25 PM   #5

You can snake from light to light no problem if the are perpendicular to the joists. Then when you jump from row to row, you should be able to snake between the joists and the Sheetrock.
Bmelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 07:36 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmelo View Post
Then when you jump from row to row, you should be able to snake between the joists and the Sheetrock.
What do you mean by this?
Old 11-27-2011, 01:48 PM   #7

I was saying to nickwa, to save him from ripping down a 6" strip. You can easily snake the lights that are all in the same joist bay. Then when you jump from one row of light to the other you should also be able to snake, just cut out the holes for lights and you should be able to snake between the joists and Sheetrock, next to strapping (assuming that it is a somewhat newer house that was constructed like that. The hard part would definatly be getting from the last light down to switch.
Bmelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 02:40 PM   #8

I've never worked on a house with strapping attached to the joists. Maybe it's a regional thing.