Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-25-2011, 06:46 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

Replacing window, cutting studs square

I am replacing a 2x3 sliding exterior window with a new construction style Marvin wood clad dual pane. My new window is 6" taller and I plan on lowering the sill by that amount. I have exposed the nailing flange on the old window on both exterior and interior by cutting away stucco and drywall. I have been able to remove the stucco leaving the exterior paper intact, so I figured I might use the excess to wrap the lowered sill framing.

At this point I need to cut the existing studs (and jackstuds) to support a lowered sill frame. Is there a best method/tool to cut these in place with a chance at leaving square ends? I can't just replace them because there is a built-in vanity just under the window.

tns1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 06:57 PM   #2
Framing Contractor

Rewards Points: 508

Generally a sawzall works well for this. Choose the shortest blade possible and go slow. Getting the cut perfectly square is not necessary.

sixeightten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 08:18 PM   #3

The attached dwg is what I am looking at. Trying to cut the studs so the new sill frame is level. I thought of nailing a horz guide and using a circular saw but it wouldn't be deep enough. No sawsall, so it looks like I need to do a rough cut with whatever followed by some chisel work.
Attached Thumbnails
Replacing window, cutting studs square-windowframe.jpg  
Old 06-26-2011, 08:46 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

Use a circular saw and a hand saw(or jigsaw). Using a chisel for this will cause trauma on the exterior stucco.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 12:56 PM   #5

How is flashing normally done on replacement windows like this ?

It looks like I am not going to be able to cut the studs for the lower sill without cutting the paper too, so I have some thin building paper I was going to try slipping down between the stucco and the old paper. If necessary, I can add a piece of grey poly shower pan liner I have left over for a vapor barrier. I see the rolls of 6" or 8" wide adhesive building tape, but I doubt I'd ever get that sticky stuff slipped in around the framing. It would be nice if they made a corner flashing piece from some stiff material just for this kind of thing.

I'll probably need to rip the new sill support a bit to account for the way the stucco bulges the paper inward between studs.

Last edited by tns1; 06-26-2011 at 01:02 PM.