DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Replacing tub but studs are too FAR apart...?

2K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  IfItAintBrokeFixItAnyway 
#1 ·
I'm replacing a tub installed in an addition that was added to my house during the mid-50's. (Not sure if the time period is relevant)

After bashing the tub out with a sledgehammer, I discovered that the studs are just shy of 62" apart (about 61 7/8").

How can I make this work? Ideas?

Would 1 1/2" get it close enough? Could I add 2x2 furring to the studs on end? Or add 1x2 furring to both ends? (Also replacing the plumbing so moving pipes doesn't affect my decision)

...Tiling this is going to be interesting for a novice like me...

Thanks in advance!

-Daniel

#2 ·
Either solution would work, but if one wall was an exterior wall, I'd add the wood there to increase the insulation pocket.
Ron

#3 ·
Interesting. Yes, one wall is an exterior wall. Great idea...

The bathroom is basically a 5x8 "wide" bathroom...door is in the middle of an 8' side. Tub to left, vanity to right.

Now I'm wondering if I shouldn't just fur out the entire 8' exterior wall to make a standard 60" vanity fit...? It had a custom hack job cabinet in it originally and it looked pretty terrible...

#5 ·
So...the bathroom is 5'x8' with tub across from vanity...

The tub needs 60" to the studs...so after drywalling the vanity needs to be 59"...? (1/2" drywall)

It's really not possible to put a 60" vanity directly accross from a standard 60" tub?

Is this an unusual bathroom layout or something? I can't be the first person to have this problem............ :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.