Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-01-2010, 01:18 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Replacing tin wall covering. Help!

The situation
I live in a brick rowhome (Baltimore) built circa 1830. I'm guessing our kitchen was added on to the back of the house around the turn of the century give or take. My guess is based on the harder brick that was used (the older brick is much softer) and the style of tin used to line the kitchen.

The tin lining the kitchen walls is beat to heck and has about 20 layers of paint covering it. Restoration of the tin looks to be be a long, painful process that would have questionable results.

What we've found
We've peeled back some of the already damaged tin lining. Underneath looks to be strips of wood (4inches wide x approx .5 inches thick) with plaster behind it, then finally brick. Measuring from the brick to the flush edge of the window frames leaves approx 1.75 inches two work with... if the wood and plaster were to be stripped out.

Our options
I would think that our two options would be to 1) resurface over the wood & plaster or 2) strip out the wood and the plaster and use the full 1.75" of space.

Rigid insulation and drywall are both available in < 1" thicknesses... so that would be one way to go.

Any suggestions on whether to replace the tin with another layer of something or to pull out the wood and plaster? Any suggestions on what materials/methods to use? Also, the back of the house gets pretty cold. Ripping out the plaster and adding modern insulation might help this quite a bit.

Thanks!

Last edited by En0rm0; 05-01-2010 at 01:25 PM.
En0rm0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 01:45 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Replacing tin wall covering. Help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by En0rm0 View Post
The situation
I live in a brick rowhome (Baltimore) built circa 1830. I'm guessing our kitchen was added on to the back of the house around the turn of the century give or take. My guess is based on the harder brick that was used (the older brick is much softer) and the style of tin used to line the kitchen.

The tin lining the kitchen walls is beat to heck and has about 20 layers of paint covering it. Restoration of the tin looks to be be a long, painful process that would have questionable results.

What we've found
We've peeled back some of the already damaged tin lining. Underneath looks to be strips of wood (4inches wide x approx .5 inches thick) with plaster behind it, then finally brick. Measuring from the brick to the flush edge of the window frames leaves approx 1.75 inches two work with... if the wood and plaster were to be stripped out.

Our options
I would think that our two options would be to 1) resurface over the wood & plaster or 2) strip out the wood and the plaster and use the full 1.75" of space.

Rigid insulation and drywall are both available in < 1" thicknesses... so that would be one way to go.

Any suggestions on whether to replace the tin with another layer of something or to pull out the wood and plaster? Any suggestions on what materials/methods to use? Also, the back of the house gets pretty cold. Ripping out the plaster and adding modern insulation might help this quite a bit.

Thanks!
Been there, done that! Don't even think about skipping the insulation.
The tin can be replaced with new, and will have none of the hassle! Stripping old paint off can be hazardous, as it may contain lead! Much better to be rid of it!
In my case, I ripped everything down, right to the brick and then framed up a 2X4 wall. Placed fiber glass insulation in the cavities (with vapor barrier) and dry walled.
Wood studs are easy to work with, such as running plumbing and electrical. And of course for fastening cupboards etc!

Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wildie For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (05-01-2010)