Replacing Old Drafty Windows - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-03-2007, 03:54 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Replacing old drafty windows

I am looking to replace the windows in my new home. I want to replace them with double hung windows. I live in a climate that can have brutal winters and humid summers. I am going to get double paned and e glass. My question is this, is there any brand out there that is better than others? Also should I get vinyl, wood clad vinyl, aluminum, wood ... there are more options out there than I thought. There is a sale in my area on Crestline and Peachtree brands. Any thoughts on theses? I am eager to read any ideas/advice you have to offer.

Thanks!

Advertisement

MH1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 05:46 PM   #2
I have gas!

Rewards Points: 1,018

Are you going to install them yourself?
I would recommend taking a trip around to all the different showrooms and judge for yourself.
I looked at a lot of windows and came back around to Andersen 400 series simply because of availability and price at Home Depot. They are percieved to be of good quality, which may make it easier to sell my house when it comes to that.
I really liked Marvin windows but there is no break on price from local window shop. I saw Eagle windows at the home show and they looked and felt pretty good too.
GL

Advertisement

Old 07-04-2007, 04:56 PM   #3
Newb

Rewards Points: 10

WHen i moved into my house the windows needed replacing also. I looked online for vinyl window installation instructions and came across a site that was selling short videos on how to install vinyl windows. I dont remember the name of it but you can google it. I bought the video and retrofit the 5 windows in my house in 1 day. it was cheap and fairly easy. To retrofit you dont even have to take out the existing window frames. you cut out the metal and glass and slip in the new window. Once you see the video you will know its cake.
And my windows are great, dual pane, function perfectly. keep out noise. I got a brand called mercer, aeolis 800, but the guy on the video recommends a company out of LA. eaither one is fine i think. probably expect to pay between 200-400 per window depending on who you get them from, what quality they are and how big the window is.
CrabBucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 05:23 PM   #4
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by MH1980 View Post
I am looking to replace the windows in my new home. I want to replace them with double hung windows. I live in a climate that can have brutal winters and humid summers. I am going to get double paned and e glass. My question is this, is there any brand out there that is better than others? Also should I get vinyl, wood clad vinyl, aluminum, wood ... there are more options out there than I thought. There is a sale in my area on Crestline and Peachtree brands. Any thoughts on theses? I am eager to read any ideas/advice you have to offer.
Thanks!
http://www.nfrc.org/

http://www.jdpower.com/homes/ratings...ndow/index.asp

http://www.efficientwindows.org/index.cfm