DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Replacing Inside Window Trim

3K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Termite 
#1 ·
A couple of years ago I had vinyl replacement windows installed. My trim was all stained so the installers used a clear silicone caulk. Since the inside of the windows are white, I started painting my trim. This particular window's trim is in bad shape, my own fault, from years of changing out curtains, shades, and blinds with new nail holes each time!
I am finally getting to that room to paint. There is so much caulk around the window that it is impossible to paint...it just won't adhere at all! So, I decided to just replace the whole trim work.

My vinyl windows were installed from the outside into the existing frames. I am concerned about taking off the inside trim and possibly messing something up on the windows. I'm not expecting the windows to fall out or anything like that :whistling2: but it is a little intimidating!

Can anyone give me some pointers to getting this job done. I have the molding and miter box, just need some encouragement and instructions! Thanks!

#2 ·
Your windows won't fall out when you remove the trim. Use a small pry bar or a very stiff putty knife to work the trim loose from the wall. Of course, the trim is nailed to the wall studs, header, and sill around the window. Take note of where the nails are positioned (just the studs or perhaps the jamb extension as well) and their size(s).

I'd suggest hanging the side pieces of casing first, with one nail toward the middle or bottom. Leave the top loose, but position it correctly. To determine the length of the top piece of casing, cut a 45 degree miter at one side of it. Turn it upside down and lay it on top of the vertical pieces, with the point of the top piece's miter resting right at the point of the vertical piece's miter. Now mark the uncut end right at the point of the other vertical piece's miter and go cut it. It should fit nice and tight, but since you haven't nailed the side pieces in, you can adjust them to help close the miter tight. Once the top is secured, nail the sides in.

If you have a biscuit joiner, I'd suggest using a biscuit and glue at each corner. If not, wood glue and a small finish nail from the head casing down into the vertical casing will suffice to keep the miter together.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.