Replacing A Few Tiles On Shower Wall - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-10-2006, 02:29 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Smile

Replacing A Few Tiles On Shower Wall

Hi!

I Have All White Tile Walls In My Shower And I Want To Remove 6 Or So Tiles To Replace Them With 6 Painted Tiles. Painting The Existing Tiles Is Not An Option Because I Can't Re-create The Specific Design I Am Looking For. How Can I Remove And Replace The Tiles? I Have Never Worked With Tile Before...if I Try To "chisel" The Grout Around Each Tile Will That Cause Too Much Damage To The Surrounding Area? Or Should I Try To Break Up The Existing Single Tile From The Middle Outward To The Grout? I Don't Want To End Up Retiling The Whole Wall...

Also-do I Have To Remove And Re-grout The Surrounding Area Or Just Touch It Up Once I Get The New Tile In Place, And What Sort Of Adhesive On The Backing Should I Use? Thanks For Any Help!

Advertisement

EDENO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 12:25 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 150

Replacing A Few Tiles On Shower Wall

There is an attachment for a dremel tool that is designed for removing grount between tiles. You could remove the grout, chisel out the tile and mortar, then replace with the new tiles and mortar. If the existing tiles are older, it will be hard to match new grout to old, but if you clean the old grout really well, it might look OK. I suppose you could start in the middle of the tile with a center punch if you are concerned about damaging the surrounding tiles. As long as you go slowly and carefully it should be OK.

Advertisement

billinak is offline   Reply With Quote