Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-05-2009, 04:34 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Replacing doorknobs and door

This is my first post, so hello all. I own a condo that I purchased for around $160k. It had been updated before I moved in, with wood floors and new appliances. I have since painted everything in the house and remodeled my bathroom. I noticed recently that ALL of the doorknobs in the house are old, fake gold looking and many have scratches and paint.

I replaced a single one to the master bedroom with this Gatehouse locking knob from Lowes for about $40 and it looks and feels amazing.
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...-SQ&lpage=none

I've done the math and it will cost around $300-$325 to replace ALL the knobs in my condo with the same brand (some non-locking, some 1-way locking).

MY QUESTON IS... Is this a worthy investment into my home?

au4040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 05:58 PM   #2
Not so new

au,
According to my figures you should see a 300% return in doorknob happiness. Sorry, couldnt resist. If it makes you feel good spend the 300 bux.

12penny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 06:23 PM   #3

It is a difficult task to be both sarcastic and unfunny in the same breath but somehow you managed to succeed.

Obviously I am not asking for raw appreciation returns but some insight into the positive aesthetics that high quality hardware can provide would be appreciated.
au4040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 06:39 PM   #4
Not so new

au,
oops. sorry.
12penny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 08:43 AM   #5
D-I-Yer

12penny's response was really intended to get you thinking.

The following are rhetorical questions:

What kind of car do you drive? A 1972 Chevy Vega will get you to work and perform the task well, but may not be the style you seek?

Do you buy white labeled generic canned goods at the grocery store?

Is the exterior of your condo Tudor? Stucco? Cedar Siding? Is the interior style Contemporary, Victorian, Arts and Crafts?

All of these are taste choices. Your wanting specific door hardware is a personal taste choice. Few of your guests will walk into your home, open your bathroom door and say "Wow, that is a great door knob!". Even high end solid brass hardware gets little attention. It is expected to function and accent the interior design. It is complementary in function, not a focal point.

You will be in your condo for several years, so get what you want to suit your style. You will enjoy it for those years. Even $400 for the change is only $6.70 per month over 5 years.
Douger_F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 09:25 AM   #6

Don't intend to get into the dog fight here but honestly, only you can answer the question of whether it is worth it to change out the hardware. If you have the money and like the new look then go for it regardless of whether you get any return out of the investment or not. We do a lot of things to our house because it's what we like, not because it will give us a return on our investment.

Congrats on the new place and the work and renovations you've done thus far.
bradnailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 04:09 PM   #7

Hard to calculate worthy investments at the couple hundred dollar mark. I'd say you are improving the overall 'perceived quality' of the home by upgrading knobs. Kind of like curb appeal but on the inside. I won't hesitate to spend a couple hundred bucks when I go to upgrade my door knobs if it makes you feel any better.

One thought though... upgrading from the round chrome handles to round silver handles, might want to take a look at maybe upgrading to like the nice grab bar style, etc, etc. When I replace my gold knobs, I'm going to grab bar style (not sure what the proper name for this is?), not wasting the time and money just for color.

in the end it's all personal preference....
Ininkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 05:22 PM   #8

I installed a $70 dead-bolt in a bathroom, once. I could of installed a cheaper one.

It didn't up the value of the store it was put in, but it works some nice.

Get what you want, and put it in on your doors. You'll see the investment, because you were the one to put it in. Just like whenever i go into the bathroom at the store, i think its a nice dead-bolt, but nobody else is gonna give a crap, especially after they let one out in there.

My 2 cents...true story too.

B.Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
knobs