Replacing Broken Brick Tiles...newbie Here - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-25-2013, 11:24 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Replacing broken brick tiles...newbie here

Having just redone the cabinets (with the DIY chatroom's help) I am now looking to replace some broken tiles (brick-like) on the wall in our family's restaurant/bar's kitchen:

I need to remove the three tiles that are incomplete (i.e. are broken). With what tools may I do this?

And in the photo below, there is a mesh-looking area inicated by the red arrow that is covered by a white surface (indicated by blue). Is the blue plaster? I'm guessing I am going to have to remove the plaster (?) and dried glue down to the mesh-looking area, then reapply the plaster (?).

We have a diamond wheel wet saw in our storage room (whatever that is!) We have replacement tiles and am wondering if this tool will be able to cut this brick-like tiles. They are about a half-inch thick:

Any tips on how to use this wet saw? I know I will need to pick up some safety glasses first. Will it be able to cut tiles that have indentations in them? There are a couple tiles that would have to go around the cabinet that would need some extra chunks knocked out of them.

Thanks as always for any help!

Advertisement

jmiza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:09 PM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,304

Those brick tiles are easy enough to remove---remove the grout or mortar between the tiles--smack lightly with a hammer until the things crack--pry out the pieces with a thin screw driver---

That plas plugs saw is missing the fence----not to worry---either free hand the cuts or get a board and two spring clamps and use that as a guide----very safe little saw---

Advertisement

Old 01-25-2013, 01:20 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 696

Just take it slow.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:48 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

I agree with above.

Do you know how to remove the grout. They make small grout saws that you can use to take the grout out. They look like toothbreshes with little dimond chips on the end you rube it bacck and forth to get the grout out. There are also power versons of the same.

The tile saw needs to be filled with water in the part under. Then just as he said take it slow. But its a very safe saw.

Yes it will do knotched and shaped ones. There are a few ways to knotch out the cabnet pices first is the triangle methoid use your saw to cut in and one angle then another to remove a triangle at a time.

Secondly you can buy clippers to chip out pices of tile they look like wire clippers and can be a bit tiring to use.

The saw you have will only cut stright edges you would need a much more expenvice one for curves. You will need to get it close and fill in with grout cover with trim, and just learn to deal with only cutting stright edges.

Make sure you read the directions on the grout and adhesive giving enerything the right amount of time to dry and you will be fine.

Last edited by kyliak; 01-25-2013 at 05:52 PM.
kyliak is offline   Reply With Quote