Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-27-2009, 08:22 PM   #1

Share |

replacement windows and doors

Boy this is hard to get info on. I wish to replace my homes windows and rear door with triple pane u .30< energy window and doors. Searching the web gives you installers, but no info about how the windows are put together and how difficult it is to install. I'm a do it myself guy. I read on one site that anderson has a triple coming out next year. How difficult and costly will they be to install? If anyone has any info I sure would appreciate the info. All I've found is that pella is in a class action suit on windows. Every site I went to was pushing vynal , but what about wood inside for beauty? Thanks in advance for any help. I research before I jump. Too costly a venture otherwise. AL

Last edited by Do It Myself Al; 08-27-2009 at 08:25 PM.
Do It Myself Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 09:19 PM   #2
Builder/Remodeler

What kind of windows are you replacing?

ChrWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 07:20 AM   #3

You may want to look here. www.NFRC.com. This is the National Fenestrations Ratings Council. They list all manufactures that participate in thermal performance of windows and doors. You can search on Manufacturers, types of window, U, SHGC, etc. As far as the tax credit, choose windows that have a U and SHGC of .30 or less to qualify.
The glass does not neccessarily have to be triple pane to achieve those numbers. There are plenty that qualify with double pane. These use a higher performance low e coating.
As far as what type of material is solely up to you. There are a multitude to choose from. You have mentioned wood for the beauty. Just a suggestion. Vinyl manufacturers provide woodgrain laminates on the inside that actually look pretty good.
Referring back to the website mentioned, it also points out what material the windows and door are made of.
Hope this helps, and good hunting.
fenestrationman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 08:59 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Do It Myself Al View Post
Boy this is hard to get info on. I wish to replace my homes windows and rear door with triple pane u .30< energy window and doors. Searching the web gives you installers, but no info about how the windows are put together and how difficult it is to install. I'm a do it myself guy. I read on one site that anderson has a triple coming out next year. How difficult and costly will they be to install? If anyone has any info I sure would appreciate the info. All I've found is that pella is in a class action suit on windows. Every site I went to was pushing vynal , but what about wood inside for beauty? Thanks in advance for any help. I research before I jump. Too costly a venture otherwise. AL
Go to Andersen Web site at andersenwindows.com goto the top were it says replace or install. then choose window or door. then choose 400 Series or 200 Series then choose product type -then it gives you PDF Files -step by step installing or replacing with PICTURES--I don't know why it's that difficult. Call Andersen Service #888-888-7020 and they can print and fax you any thing you want. Or go to the Marvin site, it's all right there in front of you.
EMILY P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 06:31 AM   #5

Why does it need to be triple pane??? And .30 is not a great window/door, but is good. If you are looking for wood windows, Andersen 400, Marvin(pricey), Weathershield are some to consider. For the top of the line, consider Hurd. And I have had enough bad experiences with Pella to NEVER recommend them. There are tons of vinyl replacement windows, but avoid big box store units, basically junk, IMHO.
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote