Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-19-2010, 02:39 PM   #1
jad

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

replacement windows

opinions on the best replacement window ( double hung) and is using a new non-replacement window a better option.
I hear don't use any big box store for replacement or regular windows?

jad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 06:38 AM   #2

replacement windows

You don't say where you are. If northeast/mid Atlantic, I like Viwinco for replacements. Been around for a long time, excellent service, warranty. For new construction windows, I like Andersen 400. There are other good ones, but not at big box stores.

Replacements are usually all a small home can afford, but new construction windows have benefits that replacements don't have. With either, proper installation is a must. Poorly done high performance windows are no better that 50 yr old windows.

Don't beleive that crap about "they'll pay for themselves, quickly". They will, but it will take a long time. Figure to save 20-30% on fuel savings over single glazed windows.

Last edited by Just Bill; 01-20-2010 at 06:44 AM.
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 10:35 AM   #3
jad

replacement windows

I am in the Raleigh North Carolina area and will be looking to replace all the windows in a 3,000 sq. ft house.
The house is about 15 yrs old but the windows that were used when it was built are crap.
I took a look at the Viwinco website and although it is hard to tell for sure but I am not sure about the snap in sill.... looks like what to much plastic.
jad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 01:10 PM   #4

replacement windows

Pella, Marvin, Andersen.....

I put American Craftsman (cheaper from HD and made by Andersen) and have had NO complaints. They're vinyl so if you wanted wood, look into the first two above.

I like installing NEW windows instead of replacement, but you have to have the right siding. If you can cut the siding easily to accommodate the nailing fins and then finish with brick moulding that's one option. If you have brick or vinyl siding and don't want to replace the entire side, then replacements might be better.

Last edited by cibula11; 01-20-2010 at 01:13 PM.
cibula11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 05:41 PM   #5
Home Performance

Rewards Points: 2

replacement windows

In terms of energy-efficiency and installation, replacements and new construction style will be the same if done properly. I like Plygem in vinyl and in wood, the big names make decent products as long as you choose their higher-end lines.