Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-01-2010, 12:37 PM   #1

Share |

Replacement window in progress

Hey Guys so I ordered a new replacement window to replace one of the windows in my sons room.... I got the old window out only to notice that it is actually two pieces the glass sashes and the screens/storms are another... so obviously with the new window I dont need this 3 inches or so for the OLD storm windows... IF i were to take this piece off as well what do I do with the area where it was? paint it? some type of flashing????

(the new window will fit where the red line is)
Attached Thumbnails
Replacement window in progress-window.jpg  

tb582 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 12:45 PM   #2
Remodeling Contractor

the piece holding the storm is the exterior trim. Caulk and seal the replacement window to this. Remove the storm. The reveal is normal and can be left as is.

Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 01:40 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Mariani View Post
the piece holding the storm is the exterior trim. Caulk and seal the replacement window to this. Remove the storm. The reveal is normal and can be left as is.

So remove the storm piece and move the window in that spot instead of where I have it marked in my pic? not sure if that will throw off the measurements for the windows, it might need to go where I have the red line drawn, no?
Old 05-01-2010, 01:56 PM   #4
Remodeling Contractor

no, leave the piece that the storm is attached to. This is the exterior trim. Only remove the storm, but this is optional since it will give even the new window a better energy performance.
Old 05-01-2010, 02:44 PM   #5

hmm --- just so I'm sure, I'm giong to remove the storm piece from the exterior trim (what I assume to be acting as an exterior stop). THEN I'm going to butt the window up against the exterior stop instead of where my red line is, right?
Old 05-01-2010, 03:19 PM   #6

ok I've removed the storm and this is now what I'm left with.... So I now understand (i think) what you were saying, the window is still going in the same spot, just looks better with the storm removed.... I'm heading out to by some nice exterior white paint to paid the sill as its not rotted, then I'll attempt to put the window in....
Attached Thumbnails
Replacement window in progress-window2.jpg  
Old 05-01-2010, 04:05 PM   #7
Mod

The new window should butt into the white inside sill. install wood stops to hold in place.
Old 05-01-2010, 04:19 PM   #8
Remodeling Contractor

you need to remove anything rotted since paint will not hold and it will continue to rot the good wood next to it. Then you either glue a patch piece or use wood epoxy to repair. Then exterior primer and exterior QUALITY paint. Also any areas next to the rotted wood should be treated with an epoxy wood enhancer. This stuff hardens the wood fibers so the rot does not spread and so it can accept the paint.
Old 05-01-2010, 07:26 PM   #9

One more question - the window came with two pieces that I'm not exactly sure how they should go:
Attached Thumbnails
Replacement window in progress-dsc_0007.jpg   Replacement window in progress-dsc_0008.jpg   Replacement window in progress-dsc_0009.jpg  
Old 05-01-2010, 08:15 PM   #10
Remodeling Contractor

these are pieces for the top flange (smaller one) and the bottom. This allows you to adjust the height of the window as needed. Then use small screws to keep the pieces in place.
Old 05-01-2010, 08:20 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Mariani View Post
these are pieces for the top flange (smaller one) and the bottom. This allows you to adjust the height of the window as needed. Then use small screws to keep the pieces in place.

So these are screws that did not come with the window, as the ones that came with it are for securing the sides.... so how exactly do I secure these flange pieces?
Old 05-01-2010, 09:18 PM   #12
Remodeling Contractor

you can just slide them in place and use the caulking to hold them or use screws that you will find in the gutter section.
Old 05-01-2010, 09:22 PM   #13

6) Rot is catchy.

Well this may be true, but not in the sense that many people think. If you install a new stick of lumber against a piece of rotted wood the new piece of lumber will not begin to rot. Rot fungi are “seeded” by the spread of single-celled spores. These spores are everywhere. Essentially all wood is exposed to the seed stock. Only when conditions are right will the infection develop into rot. The moisture content (MC) of wood needs to be above 28% to be initially infected. Since all lumber is above 28% MC at some point in its life, all lumber is infected. When the MC of wood drops below 22% the rot fungi goes dormant. It’s harmless, but is will be reactivated when the MC rises above 22%. The solution is: keep wood dry or poison it with a chemical treatment.

Be safe, Gary
Old 03-11-2013, 07:58 AM   #14

Question

How did you do with the install? Can you share completed pics? Any other obstacles come in your way?

I have similar old windows to be replaced.

Thanks

Westbrook is offline   Reply With Quote