Replacement Or New Construction Windows?? - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-19-2014, 05:21 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Replacement or new construction windows??

So I'm doing a pretty extensive remodel on my house and need to decide on the type of windows to go with. The previous owner installed some windows poorly and mixed matched some. The exterior stucco also needs work... Would it be wise to tear out the old windows plus frame, cut the stucco around the window and put new construction windows or install replacement type where it just installs over the existing frame. Any advantage of new construction windows besides not losing any window size compared to the replacement type?

Any suggestions would help. I just feel like installing window over window is like patch work. I'm the kind of guy who likes to do thing right...

Advertisement

seephor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 07:56 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 712

A lot depends on the condition of the existing window frames, sill and trim.
There both the same window, just one will have a nailing fin.
Not getting the window over window thing, old sash's come out, new replacement window goes in, the old ones not left in place to act as a storm window if that's what your thinking.
A whole lot more work, time and materials involved when installing a new construction window in a stucco wall after the fact.

Advertisement

Old 03-19-2014, 04:37 PM   #3
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 3,304

+1

In stucco installs, new construction tends to be the better choice based on where the leaks usually originate.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 11:01 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 250

You dont list were you live. If heating and cooling is a concern getting rid of old window frame and installing new construction windows will seal up the house alot better.
JustinK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 11:22 PM   #5
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,648

Yes...please tell us where you live....

And....when I pulled out my old windows...I was surprised at how sloppy they were framed in.....

Go new construction....the stucco repair is not that bad....and it's a good time to properly flash them

If your in Los Angeles.....send me a PM....I have some #'s for you to call for windows and stucco....if you want an idea of the quality...click on the link in my signature

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 10:57 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 25

I'm in Los Angeles.

Thanks for all that info. I am one who likes to do things right so I want to rip out the old frames but my concern is the outside stucco.

Reason being, the home was built in the 60's and there's no plywood or OSB sheathing under the stucco. It's basically a screen mesh with paper backing which is nailed onto the studs then the scratch coat is troweled into the mesh.

If I were to cut the stucco say minimum 3" around the window frame, I will end up cutting the cement and mesh so I'm not sure exactly how they are going to repair something like that, 1) There would be no backing/mesh. And 2) If they do repair it, I'm guessing it's going to be very prone to cracking along the old/new joint.

Any thoughts on this guys?
seephor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 11:35 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 250

Top there should be a header, side there will be double stud (jack and king), bottom probably will only be one. If you done cut it out and there is nothing there just just add blocking between studs. Gotta love old houses...

Advertisement

JustinK is offline   Reply With Quote