Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-03-2012, 12:48 PM   #1

Share |

Replace windows ourselves??

We are replacing our windows. Some will be the same size others will be smaller. We are putting windows where rotting French doors are as well as a god awful sliding door. Also another window will be added to our scary ass poltergeist 65 foot hallway. We have a friend who is willing to do the work for a great price but we are also replacing siding along with a lot more work that we want to do all at once so we need to keep the costs down. Which finally brings me to my point. I have seen windows being replaced on television. Doesn't look that bad but what happens on tv and what happens here aren't usually remotely close so I guess I'm just wanting to hear some stories about replacing windows with the same sized window nothing fancy so maybe we could do those ourselves. Any tips any info would be so appreciated thanks

Toriej92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 12:52 PM   #2

Before everyone pontificates to you about difficulty, can we start with:

Why are you planning on some of the windows being "smaller?"

Custom window sizes don't cost much more than the ones you're probably looking at on the shelf. Using the wrong size windows is "ghetto." Please don't do it. If there is a logical explanation for using undersized windows, please advise.

RenoStruct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 01:08 PM   #3

Sure. We are doing the back of the house first. It is a freaky L shape house so the living room have these huge 6 foot tall 3 feet wide windows that don't open on one side a fire place with a bench that goes all the way across the room, a cut out to the dining room one another and a 12 silding glass door on the other side so thats 4 sides no where to put your sofas so we want the windows that will go in to be high enough to but it up against them if that makes since. All of the windows that do open are 6 feet tall most of those will stay that size though I'm not happy about it. One area is in the hallway there was an add on looks like and that was bumped out 2 feet with windows and French doors those will be made into the taller windows as well we will put a window seat in. As of now there are five different ways to get out of the house. Not as secure as I would like so those babies are going. Really it's just a sad house that's been neglected and that's going to change. I dont know if that makes any sense. There is a reason for it. I won't be resizing them though. Someone will get paid for that.
Old 02-03-2012, 01:11 PM   #4

Nice vocabulary by the way.. I'm getting SMALLER windows but I'm not worried about those.
Old 02-03-2012, 01:20 PM   #5

The most common problems that come up result from flashing mistakes, so before tips come along, could you tell us how your house is built? Wood, brick, brick facade, vinyl siding?
RenoStruct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 03:12 PM   #6
Civil Engineer

Reno is dead on. I have inspected over two hundred houses damaged by various calamities, and I usually take a quick look at the windows (at least if the house is still there). The single most common problem I have encountered is poor flashing (sometimes no flashing). This happens even on "high end" houses, seems that flashing is time consuming, so a lot of builders skimp on it. Other issues I have encountered include improper insulation, improper sizing of the opening, and window installed out of level.

Installation is certainly not rocket science, but to do a good job requires careful attention to detail.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 04:09 PM   #7
Home Performance

I agree with Daniel's assessment. Look up youtube videos, etc. There are plenty of resources out there, although given what you are doing, they may not offer much in the way of proper flashing etc. Its not rocket science, but you'll need access to a brake and the ability to use it. If your friend is a professional (I'd hope so since you are paying him), then you should be all set.